2002 Es300 Halogens (not Xenon)

lexus_driver

Hi everyone,

I have a 2002 ES300 with the Xenon package, but somehow these Xenons just look A LOT brighter than other ES Xenons, blindingly bright actually. I realize that there is another set of headlights available. [i'm talking about the halogen lights that turn on when the headlights are selected as "-", the third selection starting from "DRL off"]. I intend to use the halogens as my main driving lights, but they are simply too faint and too yellowish. I plan to change these halogen bulbs to Sylvanias to decrease my use of the Xenons. I stopped by PepBoy's this Friday and picked up a "Sylvania H7" [the regular ones, NOT the Cool Blue-s] to replace my yellowish halogens. But somehow the H7's just won't fit on the plastic halogen harness. My question is that are there any special harnesses required to install the halogen H7's, because the two prongs on the H7's do not fit anywhere. And if possible, are there any instructions for bulb replacements? (I bought my car used and it did not come with a user's manual). Thanks in advance for all replies.

Although I don't own a '02 ES, I had one as a loaner some time ago, and from what I remember, turning the light switch to "-" yields only the parking lights being turned on, like shown in the pic below:

370091_19_full.jpg

So if I understand from your post correctly, you are planning to change out those parking lights, right? The bulb type for the parking lights is 2825, not H7. H7 is the bulb type for the halogen bulbs in your low beams, but you have HIDs for your low beam use. So it looks to me that you got the wrong bulb to replace those parking lights, unfortunately. I suggest you return those Sylvania H7s back to Pep Boys, and look into upgraded 2825 bulbs. I don't think they're regularly stocked in Pep Boys or any local auto parts store, so you may have to peruse to online vendors like optauto.com or similar. Good luck :)

Okay, hang on, I'm confused...

You don't like the Xenons because they're too bright? So you're going to use the wedge bulb to be your illumination? lexusk8 is right, when "-" is selected the wedge bulbs up in the corner are the only things that light up, and I believe the DRLs may too. There is no way to use the wedge bulb as the primary headlight because the socket isn't designed to project that light out onto the road. So, even if you could get the bulb to burn you're just going to have REALLY bright wedge bulbs that don't illuminate anything. If you're talking about the DRLs, the DRLs are just the high beams on low intensity, putting a brighter bulb wont make a difference here.

To me the xenons being too bright is like saying "Take this Prime Rib back, it tastes way too good" but the reason your xenons are too bright is probably because they aren't aimed properly. HIDs are VERY bright if they're titled up even just a little bit. Let the Lexus dealer look at the aim...

The H7 bulb is the proper bulb for the 2002 ES low beams if the car IS NOT equipped with HID. An HID equipped ES will not have the proper wiring harness to accept H7 bulbs as the low beam with out a total wiring harness/fuse transplant.

I do not know if non HID ES's have the autoleveling feature so that is one more piece of equipment to consider.

The DRL are actually the high beam lights at 50% as SW03ES stated. The high beam bulbs are actually 9005 bulbs.

The "-" setting on the stalk only illuminates the parking lights and not the DRL. (I just went outside in the dark to confirm this, thank you) Exactly as seen in lexusk8's posted picture. The parking bulbs are a small wedge style bulb not a socket style bulb.

maybe I am getting old, but how could it be too bright. I would drive with my highs on all the time if it weren't rude and illegal.

Lastly, go to www.lexus.com and register your car under the owners section. You can request a both the owners manual and supplemental owners manual, and they are FREE.

steviej