What Am I Missing? The Ml System Sounds Subpar

I've read forever that the Lexus Marc Levinson system is supposed to be the best in the world. I have an E500 that has a system a thousand times better, and even my wife's Audi A6 had a better system. Are we missing some 'magic button' or setting that prevents it from sounding good? AM sounds terrible, muted and warm like an old single speaker radio, and while the CD music sounds good, you only hear it from the speaker nearest you, whatever seat you are in. What about that surround sound and even simply stereo, for cripes sake?

I'm very disappointed, and hoping there's some dynamic setting or simple fix that we have overlooked...

• 11 months later...
I've read forever that the Lexus Marc Levinson system is supposed to be the best in the world.  I have an E500 that has a system a thousand times better, and even my wife's Audi A6 had a better system.  Are we missing some 'magic button' or setting that prevents it from sounding good?  AM sounds terrible, muted and warm like an old single speaker radio, and while the CD music sounds good, you only hear it from the speaker nearest you, whatever seat you are in.  What about that surround sound and even simply stereo, for cripes sake? 

I'm very disappointed, and hoping there's some dynamic setting or simple fix that we have overlooked...

Full disclosure: No answers for you

BUT... I am having same or similar issue. Please see my post from yesterday re: Mark Levinson system. Does this sound like the issue you are experiencing?

You're not going to like this solution, given the $$$ you (and I) paid, but try turning off the surround sound and fading the sound significantly towards the back (two or even three clicks back on "crossbar" setting).

Significantly improved my sound, even though I can't believe there are only two of us commenting on it in these forums.

• 2 weeks later...
You're not going to like this solution, given the $$$ you (and I) paid, but try turning off the surround sound and fading the sound significantly towards the back (two or even three clicks back on "crossbar" setting).

Significantly improved my sound, even though I can't believe there are only two of us commenting on it in these forums.

That was the first thing I did when I drove out of the showroom 2 weeks ago when I picked up my new gs300, was to put most of the sound to the rear speakers. All you hear when you leave it in the stock/default position is the front left speaker. The speakers in the back sound fuller and give the car a better sound I think, so I too moved it a few notches to the back until I cold hear those speakers. I was going to experiment with left/right balance but then figured that I would want to switch it every time someone was in the car perhaps, so I left that in the middle for now.