Can You Remove The Governor On The Rx-330?

dood

i just got a rx-330 and its limited to 110mph. can i flash my ecu or something to change or remove it?

thanks

I've been to 85-90mph with our RX330 and it seemed light on the road and I wouldn't push one anymore than that. :(

I take my rx to a 100 almost daily on the freeway...it handles fine, you just have to know how to drive at that speed...only bad thing is due to the front wheel drive, you can really wear down your tires. I just had to replace my tires when I took it in for my 5000 check up. Luckily my LX was fine. :rolleyes:

I hope that this freeway is one without other people around. It doesn't matter if someone thinks they know what they're doing - it only takes one other driver who isn't expecting a car going that fast and makes the wrong move in front of one to turn a joyride into a tragic situation. Graveyards are full of people who knew what they were doing, and who got in the way of those who thought they did.

I might suggest that you ask yourself honestly if what you're doing with the time you gain by driving that fast (and dare I say recklessly) is worth risking someone's life (including yours) over.

I take my rx to a 100 almost daily on the freeway...it handles fine, you just have to know how to drive at that speed...only bad thing is due to the front wheel drive, you can really wear down your tires.  I just had to replace my tires when I took it in for my 5000 check up.  Luckily my LX was fine.  :rolleyes:

It's not about driving skills but rather the amount of acceptable risk. You may drive 100+ by yourself, or not, but I won't push this vehicle with my family on board. If I need to go somewhere by myself, I take my Silverado with Duramax. :P

I take my rx to a 100 almost daily on the freeway...it handles fine, you just have to know how to drive at that speed...only bad thing is due to the front wheel drive, you can really wear down your tires.  I just had to replace my tires when I took it in for my 5000 check up.  Luckily my LX was fine.  :rolleyes:

It's not about driving skills but rather the amount of acceptable risk. You may drive 100+ by yourself, or not, but I won't push this vehicle with my family on board. If I need to go somewhere by myself, I take my Silverado with Duramax. :P

I didn't mean my driving skills were superior to yours, I just meant if driven right it can handle those speeds fine. :cheers:

The issue isn't really whether your driving skills (or mine) are capable of handling this car at 100 mph - I'll grant that they are. The issue to me is whether that should be done in a populated area, regardless of who is or isn't in the car.

If the only risk is to ourselves, we can make that acceptable risk decision. When others are involved, only an immature person would think they have the right to make that decision for others.

Please drive responsibly - I would hate to see whatever you have to offer the world be lost in a moment. Ditto for those who might accidentally be in your way.

• 4 weeks later...

If you do find a way to remove the limiter make sure you upgrade your tires to the proper speed rating or you might find your self with a tire that comes apart at a higher speed than it is rated for.

Jeff

• 3 years later...

Yeah I was wondering the same thing... I tried clicking on the link that someone else posted but it didn't work for some reason. I'm not sure why they put a Governor on the U.S. version and not the U.K. version though

It was my understanding that the governing of our top speeds was computer controlled and required a new set of software to do this. I was reading an article about the then new 2006(7?) Corvette and they were trying to get past the governor. They even had GM working with them and it wasn't that easy. Quite a bit work to do this.

If you see me hanging around the highway at 5-10 over the limit, drive by before you start gonig 100 mph. ;)