Xm Satelite Radio

BMAN1113

I recently got the Delphi Roady2 XM radio for my SC.

I placed it on the center vent with clips that came with it and it looks pretty fit with its small form factor.

I thought of getting direct FM connection to the radio, but the manual says using the tape interface has superior sound, and I agree with it after testing both methods.

The cd-quality music without annoying commercials...that is the way to go!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My bracket allows everything to clear. I have slightly less than an ince between the glove box door and the bracket as the door opens. I accomplished that by having a slight angle toward the driver on the bracket. My bracket also does not really creep into the passengers area. My wife says that it is not in her way. Also, it is not turned so far so that she no longer has visibility of the screen or the ability to change stations.

I did not want to put my antenna outside of the car. As careful as you want to be, there is still going to be a mrk left on the paint from the antenna. I placed mine in the rear window. I'll take a couple of pictures and show you. It works well for me. I live in a somewhat rural area so I do not have the luxury of having the land based repeaters to pick up the slack. However, the only time I have any problem is when I am next to some tall buildings that are blocking the signal (only in one direction) or I also have an area where a thick area of tall trees blocks the signal. Once again only in one direction. In the winter time when the leaves have fallen off the trees I don't have any issues.

When I am in a bigger city, I don't have any dropouts because of the land based repeaters. It really works great. As for the dropouts that I have mentioned, I drive 54 miles one way to work. I only have these 2 places where I have a problem and they both last less than 5 seconds. I only get it on my way to work in the morning. I don't have any issue on the way home in the evening.

Tom

Here is a picture of my antenna when looking in the back window.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/SC/outside

And here is one as you look from the inside of the car.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/SC/inside

I put a piece of tape on the bottom of the antenna to keep it from sliding around on the back shelf.

Tom

So you really get CD quality sound from your in-car XM setup? I'm sort of disappointed. Alot of the channels are rough, even with full signal showing. Unfortunately the rap/hiphop channels seem to come in loud and clear. I think it may just be a conspiracy to *BLEEP* me off!..lol. I thought maybe the tape player was just dirty, but after a cleaning I'm having the same poor sound. I'm getting a lot of distortion when someone speaks. Maybe its those cheap Kenwoods I've been ranting about. The XM sounds great inside the house, using the small jambox they sell. I dont know whats going on. Jbarhorst2 your mount looks just like the Pro-fit I bought, powder coated and everything. You made that? Did you have to pull the console apart? The instruction given to me from Pro-fit were quite confusing. If anyone is about to install one of these I can make this a little easier. I doubt who ever they had write these instructions actually ever performed the install.

Yes,

I did have to take apart the console. Let me know if you need help. I can take some digital photos and help guide you along the process. It really is not bad. I need to take mine apart again anyway to replace a burned out bulb.

Yes, I made my bracket. I designed it and drew out the plans for it then I went to a local guy who has metalworking equipment. He cut it out and bent it for me. Then, I used a good primer so that it would not rust and then gave it a few coats of black. Powdercoat would have been nice, but I didn't want to go to the trouble of asking some of my suppliers from work to do that for me.

It sounds like you are having the same problem I had when I installed mine. Mine was terribly distorted. Turn down the modulation and try it again. You need to turn up the volume on your car stereo, but at least it is not distorted.

Let me know how that works out.

Tom

How and where would I adjust modulation? I'm running the XM cassette adapter set-up. I do notice that, when I'm operating the XM in the car, I'll have the stereo volume turned to only about a quarter of the wayup, yet its very loud. I thought that was odd. Please let me know. Thx

I am assuming you have the SKYFi radio like I do.

Press the MENU button.

Turn the Scroll Wheel until you land on LINE OUT LEVEL and press the center button.

Then adjust the level with the Scroll Wheel. I think I set mine down 2 clicks. I can check if you want.

Then I think you press the center button to lock it in.

Then press MENU to exit like normal.

I think you will find that this fixes your problem and you will enjoy it so much more.

After you adjust this you will have to turn your volume up to compensate, but now it will not be distorted.

Tom

That was it. Problem fixed... Thanks! I had looked through the menu before, but didnt realize it changes depending on whether it's being used in the car or a home-based application. When I plugged it into the car I saw that feature. Here in Houston I found that setting position #2 sounds best. What do you have yours at?

Thanks again.

Really?!! Wow. I only have the first two boxes filled. I wonder if this would have something to do with being in a major city with XM repeaters always near? What does line out mean anyway? I would guess that this is the measure of how much my receiver is questing the XM signal. Why would this distort sound when set too high.

Line out is the volume level that it puts out to your radio.

Your radio sounds like it is adjusted differently from mine.

The more modulation you add, the louder it will sound and the more likely to sound distorted. I've never had mine turned down that far. I'll have to do that and see what it does.

• 1 month later...
post-933-1101959583_thumb.jpgI just picked up a Audiovox PNP2 Sirius Satellite radio. I want it to look good when I install it and was wondering if anyone has pictures of their installation. A mention was made of Pro-Fit brackets, but I already have used a Pro-Fit bracket to install my cell phone mount. The cell phone is mounted to the right of the center console, so I am concerned that the Pro-Fit bracket for Satellite radio's might use the same position. If you could post a picture of your radio installation using a Pro-Fit bracket it would sure help. See the attached picture for my cell phone mount.

• 3 years later...
I am assuming you have the SKYFi radio like I do.

Press the MENU button.

Turn the Scroll Wheel until you land on LINE OUT LEVEL and press the center button.

Then adjust the level with the Scroll Wheel. I think I set mine down 2 clicks. I can check if you want.

Then I think you press the center button to lock it in.

Then press MENU to exit like normal.

I think you will find that this fixes your problem and you will enjoy it so much more.

After you adjust this you will have to turn your volume up to compensate, but now it will not be distorted.

Tom

Great XM advice, thank you.