99 Rx 300 Clock Malfunction

douglasmiami

In need of advice - I have a 99 RX 300. Recently my internal clock started resetting itself while the car was off overnight. This had happened a couple of times at random over last two months, but recently it has been happening almost every night. The clock will display 1:00 a.m. (sometimes with additional minutes 1:12 e.g.) when I get in the car in morning. There are no other problems, however, with the center console display. That is, the radio stations and CD info displays correctly, as does gas mileage, etc. Just the clock is malfunctioning.

I called Lexus, but of course they want me to bring it in - but I'm not under warranty.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

DS

Hey Guesss What !!!!! :D

I have the same problem too and we are in the same boat (I guess). So your not alone. I just called the lexus dealer and I describe the problem to them. They told me to bring it in. At first I was thinking to just to get the battery change but then when I describe other symtoms such as:

When rollling up and down my windows, my A/C fan seems to slow down a bit and my head lights seem to dim too.

So I'm going to bring it in to Lexus and i'll give you an update.

Oh yea just to let you know my car is out of warrenty also. But they said it will cost $90 for an electrical Test or Electric diagnositic, if they find a problem and I tell them to fix it, then I only pay for the repair and not the Test. A new battery cost $160. Aiya..... so much Money going down the drain :blink:

- Robert

Agreed - the battery is failing. Most OEM batteries last about 4 years, so any life beyond that should be considered as gravy.

Don't make the mistake of purchasing a ridiculously-overpriced battery from the dealer. Shop around - many places sell far better batteries with far better warranties for far less money than any dealer will.

Interstate makes a very well-respected line of automotive batteries these days. But even the discount parts supply houses sell good batteries for about half the price of what you would pay a dealer for an OEM battery.

Thanks to all for the advice. Any particular reason that I'm not seeing any other symptoms of a bad battery? I haven't had any problems starting the car, nor have I had any other electronic malfunctions. My experience with bad batteries has been you get in the car one morning and it doesn't start.

Robert - I look forward to hearing how your visit to Lexus went.

Thanks again.

DS

Today's batteries have much better reserve power than the batteries of yesteryear. As a result, they typically end their service lives with a slow fade rather than abruptly failing and refusing to work at all (unless you live in a cold weather region unlike Miami, which will kill a weak battery in a heartbeat). This slow fade causes problems similar to what you're experiencing - clocks resetting themselves, electric motors doing strange things, relays clicking, etc. etc. etc.

To remove any doubt in your mind, go have your battery tested. Many battery outlets and chain service centers will do this for free, so call around and find one. Chances are that your battery will test in the "low" category, and it will be time to replace it.

Okay so i went to Lexus today and they said "It was the battery and it was bad". So.... They ask me if i wanted to change the battery and i asked how much. My service advisor said it's gonna be $120 just for the battery iteself plus $40 of labor. Wow :blink: which equals $160 just for a battery. But then the guy wispered in my ear and said "If i know how to change the battery, then just go outside and buy one, which is cheaper". So... I went to Pepboys and i bought a new battery it was like $79 so yea. And ever since that battery was in place, my clock stop resetting and my A/C & lights dont dim anymore when I roll up my windows.

-Robert