Brakelight Out Light

xl8rguy

So I have this 97 SC300. I love this car. Lexus simply rocks, except for one little thing.

My brakelight out indicator light comes on. I think it's orange.

The problem is that it ONLY comes on when the headlights are on. Sometimes it'll go out but when I press the brake, it comes on again.

I've replaced all the bulbs in back but it still does it.

Now I did notice that it started around when the LED spoiler light went out, which I've replaced recently. I thought that would solve it but it still comes on and off....but only with the headlights on.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what'd you do to fix it?

Make sure your upper parking light bulbs (6 total) are 138 and not 196. 138 are slightly (decimal) higher output, which triggered my alert indicator to come on and off, likes yours. Annoying at nighttime because it looks like something is broken. I replaced all six because it was mixed matched and the owners manual didn’t specified what type for light bulbs so I did research on the web to find the correct bulb type.

Wow! Simply amazing.

I went to the dlrship and purchased the bulbs they list, which are a total of 12 for the back.

When I got home, I took out the bezels and removed all the bulbs. Of course, the light is on at that point.

Then I plugged each in one at a time. When I got to the LAST one, I plugged it in, and VOILA, the dashlight turned off.

Thank you so very much for your help!

There are four nuts that hold the bezel in place. You'll have to pull back the lining material and you'll see them. Make sure you take out all four. There is one that is kinda hard to see as it's close to the top and hidden by the metal of the trunk lip. I believe I used a 10mm socket.

Once you remove the four nuts, the bezel can come out but it's TIGHT. What I did was gently tap on the bolts (from where you took off the nuts) and it should come out. Pull it straight back or else it's really difficult to get out. The right side has the trunk keyhole so make sure that's lined up when replacing it. Once it's out, changing the bulbs is a snap.

I would recommend getting the bulbs from the dealer as the ones from AutoZone, etc., aren't right. I had the wrong parking light (peanut) bulbs and it caused the dash light to come on. ONce I put the right ones in, it solved the problem. Also, I have a 97 which doesn't use the double-filament bulbs for the brake but AutoZone called for it.

In fact, the reverse, stop, and turnsignal bulb were all the same (single filament).

Let me know if this helps.