Oil Filter Removal

smallbobwood

ok - trying to save a few coins and change the oil myself. The question comes in how to remove the oil filter without creating a mess. My first glance is it is hard to get my hands on, and any oil leakage will spill all over the metal pan/shield underneath it. Also any idea of the size of the oil drain bolt?

Thanks,

Bob

drain the oil first with your drain pan underneath......leave the filter on

after all the oil is drained outta the oil pan, screw the drain plug back in

move your drain pan underneath the oil filter......(i use a piece of sandpaper to unscrew the filter) then let the rest of the oil drain out............put new filter in.......put new oil in.

goodluck

• 2 months later...

Yo Bob,

I don't know if you take your rig to the dealership for maintenance, but my Toyota dealership changes the oil/filter in my Sequoia for free. If you are determined to do this yourself, you can try what I used to do on my old Chevy. After draining the oil in the pan, place the catchpan under the filter. You might want to put down some newspaper under the catchpan in a large enough area to absorb any oil that might splash out. Then take a medium size nail and tap it in the bottom of the filter with a hammer. When you remove the nail, most of the oil will drain out into the pan. After the oil slows to a drip, then remove the filter. Please wear safety goggles :pirate: and good luck.