96 Sc 300 Alternator Problems?!

llama

...the lights dimmed and ABS light illuminated when I was driving earlier tonight. When I got back home, I shut the engine off and restarted noticing that there was a bit of struggle from the battery, however the battery light remained off until I put a draw from the headlights. This sounds like an alternator problem to me! I have not had to do any engine work on this car and am a DIY, but searched and really did not find any relevant info on replacing it. Has anybody done this? It looks straightfoward, but any help would be excellent!

well if you can you should see if your alternator is charging because it could just be your battery going bad.

and well if its your alternator then you probably need to fix the leak on the ps pump. the alternator should come off preatty straight forward.

Thanks for responding jzz30, but I have a 300 and the power steering pump is on the drivers side of the block where the alternator is on the passenger side. I don't see any ps fluid. The battery that was in the car was an older battery, so I replaced it, the batttery light still comes on, had the alternator tested and found that it is not charging as it is made to, so I ordered an alternator as well. It will be here Tuesday.

• 10 months later...

check if your distributer seal is broken and leaking oil. I made the mistake of changing the alternator but since the distibuter was leaking oil it ruined the new one. It is... well... i wouldnt say common problem on sc's, but ive seen it happen before. Usually when you have a lead foot like i do. Happy hunting.

Juancho