5000 Mile Oil Change Interval? Recommended By Dlr

90LS400Lexus

On my way home from one of the local Toyota dealerships where I took my LS to get the oil changed yesterday, I noticed that this time, they have the next change at 5000 miles, rather than the usual 3000 interval. I phoned today to clarify, but he said that it was correct- that they now are now trying to get owners to go for the 5000 mile interval. Does this make any sense?

I am very happy to report that my car did not use ONE drop of oil during the 3000 mile interval. I checked it just before I took it and was amazed that it was still on "FULL" as usual. For a car with 233K, I personally think that is impressive.

As an engine ages the oil change interval should be shortened. Most people lavish short oil change intervals on their new cars, and then ignore the car more as it ages. The other way round is correct. I go 4000 kilometres on Mobil synthetic, which is about 2500 miles.

Think about how much the gasoline costs to go that distance, and then the oil seems quite cheap by comparison.

On my way home from one of the local Toyota dealerships where I took my LS to get the oil changed yesterday, I noticed that this time, they have the next change at 5000 miles, rather than the usual 3000 interval. I phoned today to clarify, but he said that it was correct- that they now are now trying to get owners to go for the 5000 mile interval. Does this make any sense?

I am very happy to report that my car did not use ONE drop of oil during the 3000 mile interval. I checked it just before I took it and was amazed that it was still on "FULL" as usual. For a car with 233K, I personally think that is impressive.

check your owners manual.......

for the LS, its 5000 miles; and even every 7500 under "non-extreme conditions" -- and that's with conventional dino oil.........

That's what the manual says.........

http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

I know the above is on the Mobil 1 web site but you can find lots of independent studies that show synthetic oil performing well at very high change intervals - intervals far higher than 7,500 miles. I am always amused when I read how people who own cars with oil quality sensors (e.g. Porsche owners) refuse to believe their car's oil quality sensors which can recommend oil changes at intervals of 10,000 to 15,000 miles.

I changed the oil in the LS400 I purchased new in 1990 every 5,000 miles (Mobil 1 synthetic starting at around 50,000 miles) sold it at 183,500 miles, and I think that its new owner (are you reading this Toby?) will agree that it is still doing well at about 200,000 miles.

I suspect that how long an engine lasts has more to do with engineering and manufacturing quality than anything else.