Starter Brushes?

Chipofftheoldblock

I have a 97 LX450 and just recently (within last 10 days) the starter started occasionally locking up on the first starting attempt. It starts on the second attempt. It has done it maybe 3-4 times within the last approx. 30 starts. On the second attempt the engine turnover is not slow, sounds normal (battery check indicates it is OK).

Would worn starter brushes cause this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Furthermore, if it ends up being the starter and/or brushes, could anyone who has performed the reapair, give me a difficulty rating on doing it myself?

Chip

Don't know how many miles are on your rig, but I just replaced my starter contacts and plunger as PM a few weeks ago. Turns out with 77K on the O.D., mine were fine and would have been good for another good while, but based on recommendations on another cruiser board, they should be replaced around 80 to 90k or the first indication of starter problems (some have had to replace as low as 60 or 70k). Once the contacts wear down the plunger starts to stick and if it doesn't un-stick itself, it can overheat/fry the starter and in some cases start a fire.

Take a look at sleeoffroad.com for a write-up on replacing these. May want to invest in an FSM if you intent to do your own regular maitenance. This is about a 1 1/2 hour deal and as most things helps to have the FSM handy.

:cheers:

Rookie

I have 65K miles and last night after I sent the topic, I went out to start it and it took about 10 dead attempts, but then turned over normal and cranked up. I am going to check the battery again. I have a FSM and looked at the procedure to remove the starter, but I need to climb underneath to see how much room and how accessible the starter will be before I undertake the removal. I will check Slee. Thanks....I will continue troubleshooting until I can isolate the problem.

Rookie's spot-on with the diagnosis Chip. It's the starter contacts. The easy 1-banana fix is a new starter. That'll run you between $250 and $300 for the remanufactured Toyota starter.

The 2-banana fix is to replace the contacts. Sounds like your contacts are on the way out. Let either me know if you need a source for the starter contacts (Rookie might be able to help you out as well...). As Rookie stated, the FSM is invaluable if you plan on wrenching your self.

The following link might be of use for the removal of the starter:

Starter replacement thread

You might need to read through the entire thread to pick up on the hints provided for removing the starter.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I read the FSM and will remove the starter myself. However, I think I am going to take it up the road to a starter specialty rebuild/repair shop to get it diagnosed and repaired. I called and they said they could repair it and get it back the same day if I got it to them in the morning (Of course, driving through the leftover of Hurricane Ivan). I told him what you and rookie suggested and he said that if that was the case, it would run between $75-125 to repair.

Is there a way to tell whether I have a 1.4kw or 2.0 kw starter by looking at it. The FSM shows an additional coil of such inside. The guy at the shop was asking.

Chip

I'm not sure that you can tell by just looking at the starter. You might try pulling the part number off the starter and calling a Toyota or Lexus parts dealer to see if they can tell which one it is. The contacts and plunger are particular to the KW rating of the starter. Not sure how, but my (and Doug's) parts guy knew which one to send without any additional info., but then again.. he's the man!

FWIW, the contacts kit list for around $20 and the plunger is about $35. So the price difference is probably whether or not your guy determines if you need a new plunger.

If you did decide to do this yourself, the FSM talks about applying a certain amount of force to the contacts to seat them. I cut a piece of block to the dimensions specified and used a large C-clamp to put a little bit of pressure on it. But most of the folks I chatted with about it, didn't do this, and they've been fine.

Honestly, the hard part (relatively speaking) is getting the starter out. After that it's 1/2 banana. Not a bad price though if you just don't want to mess with it.

:cheers:

Rookie

either vehicle vin (with a look up by the dealership) or the part number off the starter is the only way I know of to determine which of the 3 diff starters you have.

This is only important if you replace the contacts/plunger.

If you replace the starter, it doesn't matter -- get the bigger one.

Good Day,

Had same problem with my wife's 97 LX 450 took it to the dealership they wanted to charge me $800 for a new starter motor. I said no way. Took my starter motor to a chinese tuning shop. They rebuild it for $35 bucks. That was more that two years ago when my truck was about 68 K havent had the problem again and the starter works like new. Now I am afraid to take my car to the dealership knowing that the will most certainly overcharge me for anything.