Loss Of Engine Power 1990 Ls 400

90lexus400bill

While driving my 1990 Lexus LS 400, the check engine light and TRAC light illuminated with a resulting loss of power. The engine runs fine at low RPM (1200-1500 RPM) , but once you start to acclerate you get a loud piston knock and no power.

I took it to a mechanic who performed a troubleshooting check. The error code registered number 13 indicating maybe an engine speed sensor. Replaced the engine speed sensor and the problem remains.

The mechanic seems to think there may be an open circuit somewhere. Hopefully, it is not the engine control module.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I used to have a '95 LS before my '99 and I had a similar problem (no power, car shuddered with Trac and engine light flashing). I limped it to the dealer who told me it was a clogged fuel injector(s). A quick purge of the injectors ($125 +/-) and the car was fine.

• 3 months later...

I am having a similar problem.

I have a 93 LS400 with 90K on it. When I was driving 60 mph on a highway for about 20 minutes, the Check Engine light and TRAC light turned on(not flashing). But the engine didn't stop and I can still drove it back home.

Does anyone know what is the problem? Is it related to the fuel injector?

Thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

My 92 LS400 just starting running rough and I got a Check Engine Light on. I got the code read and it is "Lean Fuel" - someone suggested it may be an bad injector. Any suggestions on how to determine if it is an injector and which one? Also, how are the injectors removed?

:cries:

Thanks.

feel bad for all of you with these problems. my only suggestion would be to check out autorepairmanualcd.com and pick up a manual. should show you how to do the injectors. just bought mine(not here yet) for 25. also try and use some fuel sys cleaner and ONLY premium gas highest octane prefered