Can This Be Right?

kenkay

The door sticker on my 2000 ES300 with 15 inch wheels recommends 26 lbs... that seems very low.... comments, please and what other pressures could be recommended. I don't use the car to haul anything heavy and rarely have more than 2 passengers. The handling seems a bit mushy.... when I got the car the tires were atr 35 lbs and the steering seemd to light.... I have rarely seen a recommended pressure as low as 26lbs.... Ken

Most vehicle manufacturers recommend lower-than-normal tire pressures in order to increase the chances for a soft, cushy ride. That way, they get fewer initial complaints from their customers about harsh rides. But then the tires are shot by 25,000 miles and when customers complain about lousy tire life, the dealers blame it on the tire manufacturers.

For far better mileage and longer life, bump your tire pressure up to between 30 and 32 psi year-round. Always check your pressures when the vehicle is cold (first thing in the morning is best). And check your tires weekly, not monthly. You'll catch problems sooner and greatly prolong the life of your tires.

I put all 4 tires at 34 psi for my 01 ES & I get an excellent blend of good comfort & decent handling (because of the AVS suspension) with my Toyo Proxes TPT's (V speed rated). Get your self a digital tire pressure gauge as well.....they are worth their weight in gold! B)

:cheers:

RX in NC has it on the head. 26 is going to give you the ride Lexus intended but at the expense of treadwear. Of course you care more about ride than treadwear right? lol, kidding.

On the 16inch equipped ES's (00-04) the reccomended PSI is 29, my Lexus dealer inflates them to 32 because they feel 29 is too low, I air them down to ~31. I actually think it rides better at 31 than 29. Basically treat the 16 as the low end with the max pressure on the tire as the high end, you can adjust it freely in there to your liking.