Loss Of Generator Belt

Peter Pugh

The generator (serpentine) belt came off and damaged the connector and wires to the No. 1 camshaft position sensor.

Replaced the belt and reconnected the wires to the sensor, but the engine refuses to start. I can find no other damage. The engine turns over and all dash indicator lights arrear normal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance !!

So do you think when the belt broke it whipped around and smacked the sensor? I'm not sure where it is and how I would know if it was damaged. I'm guessing you could see some broken stuff?

oh yeah, how much did it cost you (about)

Thanks

Denny

From what I can tell the belt actually ran off a pully. I guess I didn't keep a close eye on the tension pulley's position and it ran out of stretch. The car belongs to my daughter and it's hardly ever home !!

Sorry, I seem to be digressing a bit !!

Part of the belt wrapped the crankshaft pulley and cut the wires to the crankshaft position sensor. Another portion of the belt struck the wiring connector for the No. 1 camshaft position sensor. In my opinion the sensor wires on this car are run far too close to moving parts !! Both sensors were OK (I guess I got lucky there ! ). All I had to do was repair the wiring with a little solder, heat shrink tubing and cable protector "conduit". The belt came from AutoZone -- a Good Year "Gator-Back" for $29.50.

Kind of got by cheap on this one !! A Lexas shop probably would of "clipped" me for a few hundred !!!!!!!!!

Hope this answers your question.