Engine Ups'

DrifterX27

I use NGK iridium plugs. You can get them for about the same price as the bosch and they are cheaper than denso iridiums and will give the same performance and should last 100,00 mi. You should be able to find them for $7-8/plug. Try a search engine for them or yahoo or ebay.

Forced induction cars like copper NGK-Rs (the MR2SC and Supra guys), for our engines I would use the factory Densos... there's no power gain or fuel economy gain from any of the fancy plugs. The stock ones ignite the mixture just fine as long as the rest of the ignition is in good order.

I alway thought the reason people used irridium plugs were that it was a "colder" plug. Less likely to cause detonation in high boots and high compression ratio cars. So to me it seems to make no sence to put them in the SC unless you have been adding boost, messing with the compression, have low octane pump gas, or any other reason the cars may be "Knocking"

But I could be wrong...

I alway thought the reason people used irridium plugs were that it was a "colder" plug. Less likely to cause detonation in high boots and high compression ratio cars. So to me it seems to make no sence to put them in the SC unless you have been adding boost, messing with the compression, have low octane pump gas, or any other reason the cars may be "Knocking"

But I could be wrong...

As far as I know a colder plug doesn't have anything to do with it's metal, it has everything to do with the insulator depth. You should be able to get almost and type of plug in a colder than stock heat range.

Colder is only good if you're upping the boost, raising compression, etc. There's no benefit to running a colder plug on a stock engine.

Also, I believe the main benefit to the iridium/platinum/etc. plugs is their longevity. Copper plugs produce a stronger spark under full load, hence the lean towards them in boosted engines. This is what I always thought, dunno if it's right though.