99 Rx300 - Right Rear Marker Light Replacement

DFSguy

Folks,

I have searched the entire Forum and Google as well, for the procedure to change a right rear marker light bulb on a 1999 RX300, without success.

I tried to access light by taking the storage compartment out. I have access to the wiring the goes through a small hole in the body of the vehicle, but no physical access to the light socket.

I also tried to access it from the wheel well by unlatching the top of the plastic wheel well latch and removing one of the plastic pins that secure it to the frame. I pulled the wheel well out a bit so I could see the back of the housing. There is a very small channel between the frame and the bumper that leads to the light. I could not understand how I could fit my hand into the channel to gain access to the light socket, so I put the wheel well back into place.

I would appreciate any feedback on how to change this rear marker bulb, as it is holding up my new State Inspection Sticker that has already expired.

REmove the mud guard and then there is one screw at the bottom and one 10mm "bolt" at the top, about three inches from the front. Be sure and reseat the ball & socket that holds the assembly in place.

Yes, rear marker.

Thanks for your help!

I did not realize what a project changing a light bulb could be. A metric ratchet / socket 10mm and alan wrench set is essential in performing this task for anyone trying to change the rear marker.

I had to:

1. remove the mud flap

2. remove the latch and pins holding the wheel well

3. pull rear bumper outward for access to the light socket.

4. IN MY CASE --- I had to change the light housing and connectors because they were corroded ($44 @ Lexus) being evaluated for complete or partial refund. I did not have to splice the male connector.

Hope this helps others!