Subwoofer Installation

IlyaIlya

hey guys, I plan on installing a 10 inch sub in the lexus, and I was wondering about few things.

1) is there a hole in firewall somewhere where I can run a 8gauge wire ( i seen some plug on pass side next to where other wires run , is that it? )

2) where can I tap the turn on wire for the amp, so it only goes on in ON position, and would I need some sort of RELAY?

3) How can I secure the sub box? can i just put 2 L brackets on the box and screw it directly to the base (chasis of car?) or would I hit something? I doubt the gas tank is that close though

4) whats best way to face sub in es300? i was thinking, having it all way next to seat facing back into the end of the car,

or I can have it on side facing other side, but I think first way is best?

5) how can I connect the rear subwoofer wires to my current amp? do i need some sort of translator? that i plug in rca wire and run to my amp?

I recall seing some one post something like that before? does that work ok?

Any info would be appreciated,

Thank you ,

Ilya

1. yes there is a hole in the firewall to use (rubber bushing near the steering housing (I'm not sure about the 97's)...run power and remote 12V on driver side, RCA's on the passanger side...or switch...as long as they are not on the same side.

2. You can use the relay for the remote 12V ...but most people just "splice" into either the radio 12V power wire or the constant 12V ignition fuse (a bad rig, but it works)

3. you can screw into the back seats I guess...a custom box usually doesn't move...on my 12 inch in my (just traded in for a lexus) VW, I had a custom box and I used blankets and stuffed them between the spaces on each end of the box to hold it in place.

4. Always have the front of the sub facing away from the passengers unless there are no restrictions (such as a back seat). SUV's, front of sub facing the passengers; cars with trunks, magnet facing the passengers; Hatchbacks, sub facing down. Bass is not directional.

5. If you're using the stock headunit, you can use a RCA converter (about 25 bucks for a good one) and splice into both speaker lines...Or just the rear sub (8') line if it has one. I'm not sure if the 97's have one or not. Quality is not the same as going straight from the headunit...but hey...life's a b#tch right??

I hoped this helped...

I just asked around and they said that I CAN NOT splice it into the sub line, since its amplified.

I want to use AudioLink PowerLink II

is there a way to easily get to the rear speaker wires? cause i know they are inside the doors and not in back next to the sub ; (

Well...it's not really true. since it's just a coverter and coverts a signal and not amp current from the sub, there really isn't a reason why you couldn't just splice. I did that with my VW and it had a Monsoon system in it...also in my old 300ZX and it had the Bose. I used the orginal headunits for both...but the signal wasn't great. I did what I should of done in the beginning and just changed out the headunit. (First thing you should actually do)

I guess if you're that worried about all of this...have it professionally installed. I suggest using an aftermarket headunit (like in above)...since there wouldn't be any real issue with RCA and signal hookup...have them run lines for you for the sub-amp on the way back to the trunk. Again, if you are that worried about installing it yourself or if you're a novice in mobile systems...have a professional install it.

BKCHIQ,

First of all if I wanted to install aftermarket head unit I would.

Second, I would not pay some one to install stuff for me that I know how to do my self.

and I dont really have $ to pay some one, or buy a new HU, thats why I was looking at other ways so that I can keep my stock HU. I reather not install anything, then spend 200-250 on HU, 20 on addapter, 25 for RCA wire, So thanx but no thanx.

I ll figure it out, maybe i ll just tap it by the HU and run a long rca wire, which I dont really want to do,

thanx for your insight, but I ll try to do it another way,

For now I ll drive it w/o bass, untill I figure out a way to do what I want.

thanx