Amazing How Fast We Get Used To Luxuries..

MikeP

I brought my '04 LS430 with about 1100 miles, in for service yesterday to have a sunroof rattle fixed (hopefully not too optimistic). After taking another LS430 for a test drive, the tech finally believed they don't all rattle and Lexus technical support suggested. The dealer kept my car overnight, so I'm hoping to hear good news today.

I got a brand new '04 ES330 with less than 400 miles for a loaner. It seems well put together and the interior design & quality are really first class, but I am already missing the smooth power and some of the "extras" on my LS. I've never had a car before with a "Smart Key" system and I've only had my LS for about 6 weeks, but when I grabbed the driver's door on the ES loaner, it wouldn't unlock ;) . I had to think twice before realizing I had to push the unlock button on the key fob. Then stupidly, after unlocking the door, I put the key back in my pocket and tried to turn the ignition (another :blushing: ).

I'm also surprised by the gas mileage of current V8 engines compared to 6 cylinders of about 3.0L. I noticed the avg. mpg readout on the ES330 was a little better than 19 mpg, which is the same as I have been getting on my LS430. Prior to my LS, I had a Jaguar S-Type V8 with a 4.2L. It also had a 6 speed transmission and I routinely got about 21 mpg in mixed city driving. The Jag V8 got better mileage than the Jag X-Type 3.0L I had prior to the S-Type. I haven't yet taken my LS430 on the road yet, but I anticipate I'll be impressed with its mileage and maybe after the engine loosens up a bit, the gas mileage will improve.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm missing my LS430 and while I'm waiting by the phone for "THE CALL" letting me know my car is ready, I thought I'd share some thoughts.

Mike

Yeah thats one of two things I miss from the LS in my ES:

1. The power.

2. The little electronic goodies like the power steering wheel and power headrests/seat belt anchors. Other than that the ES is remarkably like the LS for its price.

The fuel economy isn't great, I think a lot of the economy you'd expect from the smaller engine is washed out byt the fact that it has to pull around a 3600lb car. The V8 may suck gas, but it moves the car around effortlessly.

I hear ya Mike!!!!

I had a couple Mazda 626 4 cylinders from 1994 to March 2003. They ran well and got 27 mpg all around town. The downside was their lack of power, which made the engine noisy, plus the road noise........etc, etc.......

Now with my LS, it is very quiet!! I never hear the engine....smooth as glass - and you can hold a quiet conversation in the car. I still get 23 mpg all around - which I think is pretty good; especially for the v8 under the hood!

Depreciation is the big thing - not the mileage.

Glad you love the LS - you have a truly magnificent machine!!!

:cheers:

I hear you, Mike.

My '04 LS430 is in for the recall service (transmission and fuel pump replacement) and I have an Rx330 loaner. What a difference in noise, ride quality, handling, and power.... I'm surprised at how much I miss the silent smooth ride of my LS.

Even though my Lexus LS is a 1990, I have always been impressed with the quietness of the interior. You can have a conversation with someone at nearly "whisper quiet" speech. When I had my 92' Buick (also a very quiet car as far as road and wind noise), I could still tell that it was not as quiet, because the smooth 3800 V6 engine was not as quiet as my LS's V8. :)

I just hope my next car (whatever that may be) is as quiet. <_<

i wish they had IS loaners here, actually i dont know if they do or not but last time they gave me a RX330, its nice and all, but it felt nothign like my baby LS400, an IS would been a nice car to drive on the sacramento freeways, with lots of straightways, not many cops, and a 16 year old behind the wheel good times hahah

A friend of mine in Reno, NV is in the market for a luxury SUV so we we drove to nearby Lexus of Reno in my '91 LS400 and took a test drive in a '04 RX330. Both of us felt my almost antique '91 LS400 was noticably smoother and quieter riding than the brand new '04 RX330. In addition, the interior of my old '91 LS400 looked and felt richer. The interior and driving experience of the '04 RX330 seemed cruder and cheaper - more like a typical Toyota than an exceptionally refined vehicle as we had come to expect from Lexus's based on our owner experiences with '90 and '91 LS400's.

Since I frequently

Well of course the RX is going to be choppier and louder than an LS, its an SUV ;)

The only thing I don't agree with is the interior, the interior of the 90-94 LS is (IMHO) very outdated and somewhat bland, where the RX has a very nice looking and high quality interior.