Ready To Buy A 2001 Rx300...need Advice

Colorado13

I am considering buying an `01 RX300. This is from a Toyota dealer so no CPO...which does not bother me...I think it is why over priced with this anyway. What I want to know from anyone is my demands on purchase. I told the salesman I am not going to pay a dime over $25k. It has 38k miles and I want him to put a spoiler on it. I have been looking at these vehicles for about 2 months and the Lexus dealer will not come off of the CPO price of say $28k to $29k. Also any other tips when buying from a non Lexus dealer? It looks like it could use a good detail in and out. Battery dead upon test drive...should I demand a new battery? I am slo interested in getting HID lights...any tips on that?

I know this is lot but I am hoping to buy this week!!

Thanks to all.

Colorado :cheers:

If you find a dealer that's stretching to meet their quota you can get them to do anything within reason. After we were done negotiating the price of our RX I had them add the extended warranty. They complain but if they need to sale cars they do it. If they tell you no just say that there offer may be OK but you want to go home and think about it, no way do they let you go if you the warranty is all that's holding up the sale. Good luck!!

Last weekend I purchased an immaculate 2001 RX300, mineral green, 23K miles from a Dallas Lexus dealer. Wood steering wheel, premium sound, no nav. This was a CPO vehicle. They were at retail plus $1k for CPO so starting price was $29995. The dealer proved that vehicle was purchased and maintained exclusively by that dealership. Complete maintenance records were provided as well as CarFax, etc.

Final purchase price was $28K. I did not opt for additional 2 years warranty coverage which they were asking $1900 for.

I probably paid top dollar for this type of vehicle, but with all the records supplied by the dealership, combined with the low mileage, I feel that we got a great vehicle that we can enjoy for several years.

Hope this helps!

Yep, you definitely overpaid, especially if the vehicle is not all-wheel drive.

Watch out for your transmission. Change the fluid every 30,000 miles, and ensure that nothing but Toyota Type T-IV automatic transmission fluid goes into it. The RX series' biggest weakness is it's transmission.

I bought a 2001 RX300 all wheel drive with the navigation package that includes the HIDs at my dealership more than a year ago. It had 21,000 miles on it. I paid $31,900 and it was certified. I am certain you could get what you are looking for in a certified vehicle at Lexus of Dayton in Ohio if you are willing to travel. They are good on price, but will negotiate off of listed prices. Check their website if you are interested.

Lexus of Dayton

Tom