Manual In Sc400

laxdude3622

WOW i want a manual in my sc400. I have been driving some 5 spd's lately and now i really want one. I don't know much about doing this, or even if it is possible.

So is it possible to convert from auto to a 5spd or even a 6spd??? And if it is how much?? I know it would be alooooooooot. Thanks

Actually, you need to find a bellhousing that would fit the 1UZ to the applicable trans. Probably the R154 or W58, even the V160 depending on how much cash you want to throw at it. The bellhousing is probably the hardest part to get and after that there shouldnt be that much of a problem. The auto ECU can run a manual. Its what i have on mine and theres a few people on the australian forums that have manual sc400.

bah! dont listen to nay-sayers. At least if you do go through with it you will have one of the only manual trans SC400s -in the country-. SC300 would be alot easier to do and cheaper to make faster, but the SC400 is starting to hold that mystical wonder for me. I may get rid of the 1jz when i get back and pick up a 400.

1) There's an australian company that makes bellhousings to mate the 1UZ-FE to any tranny you want (almost).

2) You will likely have to have a new cross member fabricated (not a big deal for a machine shop)

3) You will need the clutch master cylinder, pedal assembly, and shifter console from an SC300

4) I hear the 3S-GTE flywheel and clutches will fit with some drilling required on the flywheel.

5) You may need to shorten/lengthen the driveshaft or use one from an SC300 depending on what tranny you use.

That's about all I can think of, I'd like to hear more on this subject as I'd really like to do it to my SC. I just don't like a slushbox. I'd much prefer a W58 behind this beast!!! :)

For those that have done it, how does the ECU react to it? Did you need to fake any kind of signals or anything to keep the factory TRAC? I'm setting up my SC400 for drag racing and want to keep the traction control (although I will be getting rid of the ABS, and drilling holes in the traction control butterfly valve so that it only limits HP instead of stopping it)....

Just throwing ideas out... :ph34r:

If you want to drag then i would upgrade to the supra TT auto trans or keep yours. The autos can handle the horsepower with a few hundred dollars in upgrades. Well, maybe up to 400hp. As for keeping the TRAC with the manual trans, im not sure how easy thats going to be. Ive never dealt with traction control and i specifically got my car without trac.

Hey,

Yeah sorry I should have been more clear, I will drag my car fairly regularily but I want it setup for the street. I just want to do well when I go to the strip as well. I may just upgrade the valve body, torque convertor, and trans cooler and leave the stock tranny in place.