Wiper Clunks @ "rest" Point. What Happened?

90LS400Lexus

I used to be so impressed with the quietness of the wiper operation on my LS400. However, most recently, they have started to make a "clunk" or "thud" noise when they get down to the "stop" point, even when on low speed. It is as if they are going down to far for some reason. I have no idea what could have changed the action of them. I think it is the driver side making the noise. Otherwise, they work perfectly and everything seems tight. Thanks for any information.

How old are they, I know sometimes when the rubber gets real old or dried out it will jsut kind of flop back and forth making a clunking noise. The rubber should be somewhat stiff so if you can jiggle the handle a lot and make it flop that might be the problem.

I just came back in from changing the wiper blades. Unfortunately, they still "clunk". I confirmed that it is the driverside doing this and I can see on the black lower windshield trim that it is hitting there. Another annoyance. :rolleyes:

My 98 did the same thing after I had the windshield replaced. The guy that put the wiper back on had it one tooth off on the spline for the wiper arm. Easy fix, just loosen the nut on top of the arm, pull the arm off and move it one tooth up on the spline.

I would release the nut on the arm and move it up a tooth and try it ,some idiot may have put a flyer on the window and moved it somehow.

Thanks guys- I will try that.

SK- now that you mentioned it- there has been a couple of occasions over the past month, when I came out of work and there was a stupid flyer under the wiper! I bet they did it. :angry:

OK, so do I need to remove the nut at the actual wiper arm and move it there? I removed that and when I tried to move it up, the top part of the wiper "rotated" up. So I also need to move the smaller one as well? I did manage to move it up a little, but it still clunks at the stop point. Thanks again.

Still a mystery.....

With the very heavy rain conditions today- I was required to use the wipers on "high" speed. What an ANNOYANCE! :wacko: CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK @ the "rest" points. I could actually feel it through the brake pedal when I was depressing the brake. :rolleyes:

Hopefully it will sell tomorrow and I will not have to worry about it any longer. :unsure: