Timing Belt , change?

Frank DUva

23 minutes ago, A.O. said:

New guy here, just bought a 2004 last weekend, only 57,000 on it. Due to time on the belt I have an appointment to do the TB & WB on Monday, Figured I'd get it out of the way.IMG_0523.thumb.JPG.fcde7dbd222a53dfb1693616df9a98b0.JPG

Nice Car! The insurance of having the timing belt replaced is worth it to me.

4 minutes ago, Twinram said:

Nice Car! The insurance of having the timing belt replaced is worth it to me.

Yes, kind of what I was thinking as well, Heck we drove it 8 hours last weekend bringing it home from Nashville.

• Like 1

I am not going to tell anybody not to change the belt, but I believe it is something that needs to be done due to how many kilometres / miles it has been driven.

Have been in car business (educated with MB and later Volvo) and have seen timing belts changed and that is a good business.

One thing that is strange when it come to how often a timing belt must be changed is that on the little boxes the belts are in, I have never seen when they were made, which can be a bit of a problem if they are supposed to be changed when they are say 6 years old. The materials belts are made of will be worn as everything that is used, but just like helmets that are supposed to be changed when they are 5 years old as the materials, they are made of will not protecting as well as when new due to UV rays etc. If that helmet had been in a box and never have seen UV it will still be new after 20 years. Could be the same with timing belts. Anyway, no car company would throw a timing belt out when it has a 6-year birthday.

Why is day of production not mentioned on the belt? Or on the package it come in?

51 minutes ago, Lexus-CT said:

I am not going to tell anybody not to change the belt, but I believe it is something that needs to be done due to how many kilometres / miles it has been driven.

Have been in car business (educated with MB and later Volvo) and have seen timing belts changed and that is a good business.

One thing that is strange when it come to how often a timing belt must be changed is that on the little boxes the belts are in, I have never seen when they were made, which can be a bit of a problem if they are supposed to be changed when they are say 6 years old. The materials belts are made of will be worn as everything that is used, but just like helmets that are supposed to be changed when they are 5 years old as the materials, they are made of will not protecting as well as when new due to UV rays etc. If that helmet had been in a box and never have seen UV it will still be new after 20 years. Could be the same with timing belts. Anyway, no car company would throw a timing belt out when it has a 6-year birthday.

Why is day of production not mentioned on the belt? Or on the package it come in?

That is a good question, anything rubber should.. tires do.

Not sure on the helmets, a lot of that dating is just to get the public to buy more of their stuff... lots of conversations over that..

1 hour ago, A.O. said:

That is a good question, anything rubber should.. tires do.

Not sure on the helmets, a lot of that dating is just to get the public to buy more of their stuff... lots of conversations over that..

UV is hard on more than our skin. Outside of tyres are more damaged than inside, because of that.

Truck drivers with arms out open windows are more in danger to get skin cancer on that arm.

I have Llumar protection on all windows even the sun roof.

https://llumar.com/emea/en/automotive/window-tint/

Rubber can deteriorate with age as well as UV.  I have to wear shoes with cushioned rubber heels to avoid foot slap.  I've bought shoes that have never been worn but are old.  With some, the rubber in the heel collapses on the first or second wearing, making the shoes useless, even though they've never seen UV.

2 hours ago, Hotspur said:

Rubber can deteriorate with age as well as UV.  I have to wear shoes with cushioned rubber heels to avoid foot slap.  I've bought shoes that have never been worn but are old.  With some, the rubber in the heel collapses on the first or second wearing, making the shoes useless, even though they've never seen UV.

Some rubber, not all. I had Raicle mountain boots. Lasted 15 years, no problem with the rubber on them. No longer climbing mountains so gave them away; think they are still good. Also still have a pair of Jaco Form shoes since 1990 I think, no I do not use them daily. No problem with rubber on them, still supple where a pair of Ecco shoes bought same time lasted only 5 - 7 years before rubber did break and they were not used that much either. 

Look at old tyres and if they have always had same side out, they most like are in worse condition on the side that is exposed to UV.

And to repeat first I wrote on this: I do not say do not change timing belt. Just say that I have never heard of any spare part seller that throw out timing belts because they have been stored a long time. MB did not have timing belts they had a chain like on motor bikes and when serviced correct they lasted mostly longer than the rest of the car.

I believe there is a manufacturing code on the packaging and stamped on the belt itself. Independent shops don't usually stock timing belts due to the many models that use them and are ordered from the distributor when needed. So, if a shop is going to maintain its warranty and integrity, it will or should pay mind to the manuf. code for identity purposes which also contains the manuf. date...hopefully

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank DUva said:

I believe there is a manufacturing code on the packaging and stamped on the belt itself. Independent shops don't usually stock timing belts due to the many models that use them and are ordered from the distributor when needed. So, if a shop is going to maintain its warranty and integrity, it will or should pay mind to the manuf. code for identity purposes which also contains the manuf. date...hopefully

When I was still in car business (ended 2004 was in an engineering company consulting car importers) no such thing as production time on timing belts or their boxes from Toyota, Volvo & VW group.

It's cheap in the view of things. I don't want to have to replace this motor.

I shopped for 9 month before buying my SC430.  I have done maintenance that it turned out had already been done. I'm not going to call the prior owner with these types of questions. I save those calls for important stuff. 

So I did all the fluids a week ago. engine oil it was due and I knew it from the miles I had put on.

Transmission fluid was perfect when I dropped the pan, no burnt smell, no metal on the magnets in the pan. Cleaned it all anyway, changed the filter and gasket and added 6 quarts back in. But perfect fluid should have been my clue that it had been done. LOL

Get back to the differential, and you guessed it, dumped out perfectly clear, like new gear oil. Let it drain anyway and refilled with 2 quarts. 

I think most people with these cars keep the maintenance tip top. That is a plus in my book. I intend to keep this car so I like knowing where it stands maintenance wise. Yes it costs a little money but I do believe it helps the cars last. And that's why I picked a Lexus and not a Mercedes or other cars of this type of styling.

If you want to gamble on maintenance there are plenty of other models of Lexus cars or others out there to do that with. 

But I bought this car because it's becoming a classic and its got the Toyota drive train. I plan to keep the car the rest of my life and enjoy it for all that time.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Twinram said:

It's cheap in the view of things. I don't want to have to replace this motor.

I shopped for 9 month before buying my SC430.  I have done maintenance that it turned out had already been done. I'm not going to call the prior owner with these types of questions. I save those calls for important stuff. 

So I did all the fluids a week ago. engine oil it was due and I knew it from the miles I had put on.

Transmission fluid was perfect when I dropped the pan, no burnt smell, no metal on the magnets in the pan. Cleaned it all anyway, changed the filter and gasket and added 6 quarts back in. But perfect fluid should have been my clue that it had been done. LOL

Get back to the differential, and you guessed it, dumped out perfectly clear, like new gear oil. Let it drain anyway and refilled with 2 quarts. 

I think most people with these cars keep the maintenance tip top. That is a plus in my book. I intend to keep this car so I like knowing where it stands maintenance wise. Yes it costs a little money but I do believe it helps the cars last. And that's why I picked a Lexus and not a Mercedes or other cars of this type of styling.

If you want to gamble on maintenance there are plenty of other models of Lexus cars or others out there to do that with. 

But I bought this car because it's becoming a classic and its got the Toyota drive train. I plan to keep the car the rest of my life and enjoy it for all that time.  

The SC is a beautiful car and it is good that owners look after them. And nothing last forever so all the things that need to be replaced should be that.

I believe that most of the brand cars can last a long time if being maintained. My favourites Honda, Lexus, Nissan (alphabetically mentioned) never had problems with any of these (3 Hondas, 3 Nissans and only 1 Lexus). The one I liked most is a draw between Honda Coupé and Nissan 280ZX.

Enjoy your SC.

1 hour ago, Lexus-CT said:

The SC is a beautiful car and it is good that owners look after them. And nothing last forever so all the things that need to be replaced should be that.

I believe that most of the brand cars can last a long time if being maintained. My favourites Honda, Lexus, Nissan (alphabetically mentioned) never had problems with any of these (3 Hondas, 3 Nissans and only 1 Lexus). The one I liked most is a draw between Honda Coupé and Nissan 280ZX.

Enjoy your SC.

Agreed, do the maintenance and the car will last! And probably my favorite Dodge, is a good example of that, My truck has about 150k on it, the one it replaced had almost 200k on it and the wife's Charger just turned over 340k. And no problems just mostly routine maintenance. And I expect this Lexus to do the same.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Frank DUva said:

I emailed a question about belt life determination to Mitsuboshi, a big belt manufacturer for many OEM suppliers and I attached their response, for what its worth

Mitsuboshibeltlife 001.jpg

Is that another way to say that we would like to sell belts as often as possible, but it has nothing with age, only driven distance?

4 hours ago, Lexus-CT said:

Is that another way to say that we would like to sell belts as often as possible, but it has nothing with age, only driven distance?

Sounds like it doesn't it?

Well there maybe a little credence to it. I grew up in the era of timing belts, and of course accessory belts, and I haven't heard about many timing belts breaking with in recommended maintenance intervals, not many accessory belts for that matter. But I'm sure some mechanics could tell you otherwise. I had changed a few 30 years or so ago and the old belts still looked in good condition. I'm sure they've improved some to go along with extended replacement intervals. All we can do is follow the recommended maintenance and enjoy the ride.   

I weigh out the cost of maintenance verses the cost of loss.  So my timing belts will be changed by the recommendations. 

I change my boat trailer tires with brand new tread everytime. The age of the tire is what makes me change them, and if I should lose a $80 tire it could take out a $3000 fender or worse the side of the boat. So with that view point that $80 seems well spent for the insurance.

But it you choose to run a timing belt for 20 to 30 years because you're only putting 5K miles or less per year on the car again that is your choice. But having to replace the motor due to a timing belt loss would have paid for the Timing belt job 10x over....

So last Monday I had the belt replaced along with the water pump and associated stuff, Wish I had asked for the old timing belt to see what it looked like. And yes, cost me a small fortune but was still cheaper than a motor replacement.  Peace of mind ensues.

OH, car/belt has 58k and 19 years on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A.O. said:

,So last Monday I had the belt replaced along with the water pump and associated stuff, Wish I had asked for the old timing belt to see what it looked like. And yes, cost me a small fortune but was still cheaper than a motor replacement.  Peace of mind ensues.

OH, car/belt has 58k and 19 years on it.

60K seems like the correct distance; so      image.thumb.png.e3d239c6beb4fc6877efce7762caccf1.png

And, what is age if not just ciphers on a piece of paper. If I am asked about my age the answer is 25; has been that a long time.

Same question, same answer.