Winter Wheels

Nicole

I live in New England and I'm leaning toward having 2 complete sets of wheels . I'd like to do 16" steel rims for the winter wheel set. I'm having a hard time finding that though. I've checked out tirerack.com but the rim availablity seems limited. My husband is wondering if we should just get 17" snows and change out the tires onto the existing wheels.

Any suggestions? TIA

try ebay or online Lexus parts dealers for a second set of IS wheels.

Then shod them with dedicated snow tires.

Goodyear, Michelin, Toyo and Bridgestone make some decent dedicated snow tires.

Toyo actually incorporates chestnut/walnut shells into the rubber to aid in traction.

Interesting concept, knida like environmentally friendly spikes.

Where in Central MA are you? I was born in Fitchburg.

steviej

That's funny, I went to HS in Fitchburg. I'm in Fitchburg's twin city--Leominster.

Thanks for the info on the wheels. I'm definately pushing for the dedicated winter wheels. I guess I'll take the car down to a local tire shop and see what they can do for me. I've heard a lot of good things about the Bridgestone Blizak--but I have to research the individual models. I've been driving a Tahoe for the past 4 winters, so I'm a little worried about driving this winter. My husband took over the Tahoe and I'm sure he'll trade back with me if the weather is that bad. I have no problem with putting ugly black rims on it for a few months in the winter--but he's a little more concerned with how the car looks. It must be a guy thing--even my four year old son notices wheels on cars. I just want to keep the car in one piece this winter.

I'm sure you could find a sharp looking set of hubcaps for the steel wheels.

Keep in mind, the nice wheels don't look any good with salt and snow on them either.

I like you thinking on the dedicated set. Just rember to do all four as snow tires not just the drive wheels.

good luck and let us know what you find out.

I have always had good luck with Sullivan Tire (any near you?). They don't carry Toyo though. blizaks are very reputable.

steviej