Need Some Ideas Guys

silvermate

i know this should be in general topic.......but i wanted to list it here so my genious LS crew could take a look. :P

my 76 year old grandmother lives in condo with a extremely narrow garage door opening.....

the problem is she keeps hitting and scratching her side mirrors on the side of garage pulling in and damaging her car.........her mirrors don't retract

she called me over to take a look, so i was going to set up the ole ball and string method, until i realized the driveway is on a serious incline and she wouldn't be able to see it until she already has pulled in. i've also thought about the laster parking deal, with the same conclusion, she won't be able to see it....... :unsure:

i have drawn a blank and can't think of anything else i could rig up to help her....you know how grandparents are too, they have so much time on their hands, that if they have the slightest problem, its a HUGE problem....she's so cute though.

any of you guys have any ideas or suggestions to help me help her.... :D

silver,

how about attaching two soft plastic/foam rods (but will stay stiff enough not to sag) with soft tips Horizontally from the garage sides - in line with the mirrors - about 3 feet off the ground............ and use these as her reference. If she's too close ; she'd nip the plastic and know to stop ( or re- align )

Probably lot's of materials to use so it doesn't look to cheesy; paintable, flexible - that sort of thing...........???

yeah i bet.........hope the doc gave you some good pain pills :whistles:

yeah its really really steep.....i mean looking from the road u can see maybe 3 feet to the top of the ceiling.....its tough for an older woman to judge that narrow and steep of a garage.

she sold her house when g-pa died, she didn't need a 5 bedroom house anymore, she was lonely....

I'll try my best with describing these...they are these little yellow things that sit on the floor of the garage. It's got a hump on both sides of it, but the middle is flat because the tire sits in there. It's kind of like two wheel chocks put together, but it's not so steep because they are meant to be driven over. I'll keep searching for them and report back!

Found them!!! https://www.what-if.com/SECURE/garage/media/pspmat_lg2.jpg And, buy them here: https://www.what-if.com/SECURE/garage/produ...ccessories.html

:cheers:

Edited by blake918

but the problem isn't pulling in too far....its pulling in straight...so she doesn't bash ger mirrors.

Ohh...you were talking about the string and ball and laser things; kinda got me confused! :blushing: Sorry!

Silver,

the ultimate would be like they use on "drive thru" car washes. you know, where you put your car in Neutral, and let the underground belt pull you through.........probably only cost $20 grand or so :lol:

As I mentioned earlier, you might be able to make those "side guides" kinda "L" shaped so they'd attach just behind the garage door and only visible when it was up - so it wouldn't look bad at all.........

:cheers:

I don't think my mother reads this forum so here goes. Man, she has had to have her mirror replaced at least a couple of times, Her garage door is 7' and she has a Camry.

Scares me. I like agent 99's idea