My First Lexus

Booyah

Saturday, Bought me a 04 SIlver with performance package, Navi setup :D

I have 124 miles on her so far and its a very sweet car. Handles and drives like a dream, I Really like the Perfomance package on it with the All leather steering wheel and shift knob, not to mention the nice Polished rims and the sport shifting mode.

Cant believe the give you a 30 Day and 5,000 FREE checkup--Not many other companies do that. I will probably have a few Cbest changes made, Im just having so much fun finding out all the nifty gadgets and driving it. Time to go play somemore :cheers:

Oh, its not to bad up here! No worse than the any other wintery spot, just that the winter last a little longer :P

Im expecting it to do very well, people have said they do very good in the snow---It better

Anchorage.....

The very first thing you should do is read the owners manual, the part where it states that snowchains can be used on the front wheels ONLY!

Then go out and buy and install 1.5" wheel spacers all around so you can use snowchains safely, on the rear first, and both ends when it becomes necessary.

I live in Seattle and in the wintertime I always have two sets of snowchains on board. MY 01 AWD RX300 has the spacers and 235/65-17 Michelin cross terrains. So far only had to use the rear ones on the RX but they were worth their weight.

There are already lots, TONS really, of complaints about the RX, HL, and Camry having severe hesitation with sudden acceleration inputs. Most of these seem to have to do with also entering a turn.

I suspect that Lexus and Toyota are finally coming to the realization that in some circumstances FWD, or front torque biased AWD (like yours) can quickly go from quite beneign handling to very HAZARDOUS circumstances.

All of these vehicles exhibit torque stearing and torque stearing is at its worse in a tight accelerating turn. So I suspect that the VSC system has been programmed to "dethrottle" the engine in the above potentailly hazardous circumstance.

Anchorage, WINTERTIME.

Be careful out there....

Oh, and by the way, the ABS pumpmotor is used to replenished the pressurized brake fluid as it is depleted by the brake apportioned AWD torque distribution system. You have ~45 second of continous AWD capabilty before the ABS pumpmotor is disabled to prevent it from overheating and failing permanently. And remember, at the first instance of wheelspin the engine will be automatically dethrottled to prevent brake system overheating and possible rotor warpage.

Interesting~

I hope to really have Zero problems with this car in the snow! Since the 04 models have a 50/50 split of power to the wheels now--no center diff, it may be better in the snow.

I have lived here for 5 years and have never had to use snow chains, my 93 Accord went ok in the snow and my 99 4-Runner never misses a beat in the snow. The RX is replacing the accord, I sure hope it outperforms it in the snow. Time will tell and I will definately give a report when the snow starts flying :ph34r:

The 50/50 split only applies to high traction circumstances with no serious level of accelerating or decel torque applied to the driveline. Lexus does this by using different final drive ratios in the front vs the rear.

Try going around a tight corner when accelerating hard, but be prepared for some horrible torque stear if you don't experience the hesitation.

And your 99 4runner was/is a perfect vehicle for your winters.

Well, the snow will hit pretty soon....couple months, and when it does I will take it out to a parking lot and get familiar with it all! It should be interesting

Yes, My 99 Runner I still have and love to death :D It does very well in the winter

One more thing, Has anyone been able to look at the Special Service Campaigns on the Lexus Owners website?? I see it listed under the site Map, but cannot get to it?? Maybe its not active yet or something.......

One more thing, Has anyone been able to look at the Special Service Campaigns on the Lexus Owners website?? I see it listed under the site Map, but cannot get to it?? Maybe its not active yet or something.......

THere will be no "fun" in the snow with an 01 or later RX, the engine gets dethrottled immediately upon the detection of wheelspin. That's why the VC got dropped, with the VSC/Trac programmed to prevent ongoing wheelspin the VC can never come into play.