01' Rx300 Key

miko

Hi,

Since I just turned sixteen. My parents are letting me have their 2001 RX300 until I graduate. The problem is that we only have one master key and the valet key. We also have the wallet key, but the dealership said they lost the card for the wallet key and the second master key when we purchased the vehicle. They did not even give us a discount or a new replacement key, which I thought was odd. I would like to know the price and how to go about getting a new key.

Thanks,

Micheal

If the dealer admits that they (not you), lost your vehicle's other key(s), then they certainly owe you the replacement key at no charge. When a reputable dealer makes a mistake, they will admit it and make it right.

Get your mom and dad to put their foot down with this dealer and get the new key that they owe you. All vehicles should be sold with at least two sets of keys. Ensure that mom and dad stand firm on this issue and you will get your key.

Good luck to you and always drive intelligently and defensively.

Wow...times have changed. When I turned 16 (oh boy...another old-timers' story) I had to buy myself a 14 year old 1962 Chevy II (for $250!). The thing didn't even need a key.

If you DO have to buy a key and want to save a few bucks, buy an uncut key on Ebay (like I did for $56). You'll have to get a local locksmith to cut it for you and that'll cost an extra $30. That's still about half of what it would cost you from the dealer. And after the way they've treated you and your 'rents, I wouldn't give them an extra nickel.

Did you purchase this from a Lexus dealer?  Was it a certified vehicle?

All certified vehicles are to come with 2 master keys and the valet key according to the program rules.

Tom

Are you sure about this? My mother only got one master key when she bought her car. Lexus is saying that you only get 1 master key and 1 valet key.

Thanks Paul

Not sure about the used car! But I just bought a 04 and got 4 keys. I would think they would give you 2 masters regardless and for them to say THEY lost it, They would be paying for my new key! Talk to the the Lexus Customer service and let them know your situation....

2- Master

1- Valet

1- Card key

Did you purchase this from a Lexus dealer?  Was it a certified vehicle?

All certified vehicles are to come with 2 master keys and the valet key according to the program rules.

Tom

Are you sure about this? My mother only got one master key when she bought her car. Lexus is saying that you only get 1 master key and 1 valet key.

Thanks Paul

I bought a Certified vehicle a few weeks ago and only got one key. At the time of purchase, the dealer ordered me another key. When the key came in, I was a little dismayed to discover that it was just a valet key and not a remote key. I was told that the certification program says that they only have to provide one (1) remote key and one (1) valet key. That's it. I've since ordered a remote key on Ebay and am waiting for it to arrive now.

Did you purchase this from a Lexus dealer? Was it a certified vehicle?

Tom

Tom:

According to the checklist that I just printed off of Lexus' website regarding CPO, the checklist says: KEYS - Vehicle has 1 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 1 valet key.

My dealer, Lexus of Dayton, sells their certified cars with 2 master keys. They said it was part of the certification. In fact, one of my master keys was missing and they ordered another for us at no charge. Maybe it's just part of their certification. They have been great.

They are also the number one rated Lexus dealer in the nation. Maybe this is part of the reason for that.

Also, Lexus of Dayton is opening (in the next month or two) a second local dealership dedicated to Pre-Owned vehicles. It is the first one of its kind in the country. It will have its own service department and parts department. All other dealerships are combined.

My dealer, Lexus of Dayton, sells their certified cars with 2 master keys. They said it was part of the certification. In fact, one of my master keys was missing and they ordered another for us at no charge. Maybe it's just part of their certification. They have been great.

They are also the number one rated Lexus dealer in the nation. Maybe this is part of the reason for that.

Also, Lexus of Dayton is opening (in the next month or two) a second local dealership dedicated to Pre-Owned vehicles. It is the first one of its kind in the country. It will have its own service department and parts department. All other dealerships are combined.

It's definately your dealer's policy, because the Lexus Certification checklist that the mechanic signs off on (it's the 5th item on the list) states verbatum, "Vehicle has 1 master key with remote entry (if applicable) and 1 valet key."

I'm only a couple of hours away from Dayton. Maybe I should take my business there even though I live about 10 minutes from my local Lexus dealer. Sounds like a great one you've got there!