Problem with passenger side door mirror

jshakoor

The passenger side door mirror on my car moves up and down but does not move side to side. I've diagnosed the problem is in the gears inside the assembly which moves the mirror, because I can hear the motor when I try to move the mirror sideways, even though the mirror does not move. Is it possible to buy either used or new, this assembly. The dealer quoted me a price of $1,100 for a new mirror!

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem on my GS. when I press the button to the left I hear humming but when I press the button on the right I don't hear anything. The mirror goes up and down and folds fine. Drivers side works fine. 

How do you know it is the motor and not the switch. 

It could be the motor:

..or ....

In some cases the mirrors will adjust from top to bottom, but when the driver tries to adjust them sideways, the mirror does not move. This is commonly caused by either an electrical malfunction inside the switch or an issue between the switch and the electrical relay that sends a signal to the motor that operates the mirror.