Engine Overheating

I have a '93 ES that started overheating. It only overheats when the engine is ideling w/ the a/c on. When I turn the a/c off the temp gauge goes back to normal. It never did that before. I've put anti-freeze w/ the right mixture and saw that the coolant was circulating while the cap was off. I'm thinking and new thermostat should do the trick. Any suggenstions???? :huh:

Is the engine cooling fan roaring full blast when the temp gauge rises? If not, maybe an electrical cord like connection to the fan motor is disconnected. Are there mineral deposits partly blocking the internal radiator core tubes like this? http://www.saber.net/~monarch/radafter.jpg If so, you'll need a new radiator to fully restore cooling system efficiency. Is the radiator and AC condenser full of embedded dirt and bugs like this? http://www.saber.net/~monarch/radfilthy.jpg If so, you should remove the radiator and wash it off with detergent and a garden hose.

Removing the radiator will also give you access to the AC condenser so you can use a garden hose to flush the bugs and dirt out of it from the engine side of the engine compartment.

Thanks for the Tips. Monarch, I appreciate the pix. I took a look at the radiator core tubes and they looked o.k. and free of deposits & no bugs to speak of on the A/C condeser. Both of you bring up something good to look @. while this has been happening I never looked to see if the fan was going. I'll have to take a peek. Thanks again!

There is a leak in the high pressure hose going to the power steering pump. I want to tackle the hose replacement and then install a new thermostat. Is the hose replacement a difficult job for a week-ender? Also I can't seem to locate the thermostat. Can anyone help?