Motor Trend Test Of Luxury Cars

MikeP

I haven't seen the issue yet, but the September issue of Motor Trend has a comparason test of 6 luxury cars: Audi A8L, LS430, VW Phaeton, MB S430, Jaguar XJ8 and BMW 745Li. The reviewers chose the cars in the order I listed them, with the Audi in 1st place and the Jag & BMW tied for last place. I'm going to pick up a copy of the magazine, but if anyone has seen the review, please share the highlights.

Mike

I just pulled my September issue of Motor Trend out of the mailbox, and the reults are as follows:

1. Audi A8L

2. LS430(Ultra Lux)

3. VW Phaeton V8

4. Merc S430

5. Tie: Jag Vanden Plas and BMW 745i

"Our Take (on LS430)

What's Hot:

-Excuisite refinement

-Abundant conveniences

-User friendly demeanor

What's Not:

-Stodgy design....huh?? <_<

-Greasy limit handling

-Over protective electronic stability nanny

Don't Miss

With Lexus mobile phone, calls can be made by selecting address on nav screen.

Bottom Line:

Masterful quality and comfort for 8/10ths driving and below.

An awesome quote:

Hard to imagine a more finely crafted, luxuriously appointed driving machine-especially one so attuned to the needs of its occupants. Only wimpy limit handling marred an otherwise bravura performance."

-Arthur St. Antoine and MT Editors

BMW's down fall started with the iDrive! ;)

:cheers:

BMW's down fall started with the iDrive! ;)

I think Chris Bangle, BMW's chief designer, had a lot to do with carving BMW's tombstone. The current designs are a complete about-face to those that brought BMW such success. And what did BMW do to punish Bangle, they promoted him.

In a sense it's unfair for Motor Trend to criticize the LS430 because it was a little soft in the handling department. They did test the "Ultra Luxury Package". To be fair, they should have also had an LS430 with the Sport Suspension as an example of the choices Lexus gives their customers.

Thanks for posting some tidbits from the article. Cheap as I am, I'm waiting until MT posts the test on their website.

Mike

Thanks for posting some tidbits from the article. Cheap as I am, I'm waiting until MT posts the test on their website.

Mike

No problem! I hope it's not illegal. lol Cheap...me too! lol That's the sole reason for my subscription....$12 a year v. $4 an issue at the store! ;) So true about Chris Bangle! ;)

:cheers: