Power Brake Went Out Completely!

OK,

So after a seemingly benighn problem of the VSC/ABS/BRAKE lights coming on and the buzzer last week, My Power Brakes have now taken a dump completely.

Is there any friggin way of telling if the power brake booster or some other electronic device told the booster to go out?

The brakes worked absoltely fine until it went out without notice (no probs while driving on freeway)

Is the brake booster powered by a hydraulic motor or by standard vacume from the engine?

At 65 MPH coming off the freeway they went out, so I really had to hammer the brake pedal down even to stop...had my wife been driving, I would be at the hospital looking at a broken nose due to the airbag when she would have hit the car in front. I almost did.

Thank you for any help or responses

A very easy way. Hi-tail it to the stealer! If you're not a mechanic, why would you want to be *BLEEP*ing with the brakes yourself? The system in this car if way more complicated than any "standard" car. The booster, pump, master cylinder, etc. are integrated into one very $$$ unit. Of course, there are various sensors which can go awry, but you won't be testing any of those without the Lexus computer.

The car has VSC, which means it is a 1998 or newer. It is not vacuum assisted. Hydraulic pressure comes exclusively from the pump.

The Lexus/Toyota diagnostic computer is the only way to communicate completely with the various systems in your car. I am not sure if a Toyota garage can help you or not.

For the record, some aftermarket diagnostic computers may offer some communication with the car. I have a Snap-On Modus, top of the line from Snap-On. While it lets me check various things with the brake system, it is nowhere near as complete as the Lexus tool.

P.S. Fill out your info in the profile with the year of your car. It makes it easier to offer suggestions appropriate to a given model year.