Diy Oil Change Ls400

Smokey

Wondering if you guys have any tips on changing the oil before i crawl under my '98 ls400. I'm going to pick up a filter from lexus today after work then its off to walmart for some mobil 1 10w30 synthetic.

thanks for any help you guys can offer

Here's a picture of the correct oil filter to use and you can get it cheaper at Toyota dealers http://www.saber.net/~monarch/oilfilD3.JPG 

Also, Toyota dealers often sell the oil filter cap wrench shown in the picture which makes filter removal easier in my opinion.

Great tips Monarch! The filter cap wrench is a must since the filter is sooo small. Also, while at WalMart get a pair of Rhino Ramps. Agent 99 recommended them to me, and they are worth every penny. They are low profile, so the LS can scoot(my '95 does atleast, and the '98 is close enough!) right up with out scratching the tail pipes or bumper.

Smokey..........

Take the oil filler cap off (on the engine) to help the oil flow out.

Drain the pan first, then the filter....

put a thin film of fresh oil on the filter. YOu should be able to hand tighten it one full turn after contact with the base - don't go any more - it won't leak!

Torque on the oil plug is 29 ft lbs. - don't overtighten it either.............

(I'm sure you didn't ask for all this :lol: )

:cheers: