Another Delay For The Hybrid Suvs

RX400h

I'm #15 on a list for the RX400h and was #2 on the list for the Toyota Highlander hybrid. (Highlander seats 7, so I wanted the option of testing that one as well)Today, when going through my Visa bill, I noticed that the Toyota dealership had refunded my $500 deposit without telling me. I called the sales manager and he explained that there will be a 6-month delay of the introduction of the hybrid SUVs from Toyota. When asked why he refunded my deposit, he explained that there were so many requests for info regarding the Prius and Highlander, in addition to waiting lists that are spiraling out of control, that they had to eliminate all hybrid waiting lists.

I then called the Lexus dealership and a saleperson there explained that March is the expected month for the first RX400h delivery. Currently, the waiting list is so long that anyone placing their name on the list will not actually be able to buy an RX400h until sometime in 2006 - the list is incredibly long!

Hey, it gives me a bit more time to save my pennies; I just hope that I don't have to wait too long.

And I'm willing to bet that when it does come it will be based on a ~2 liter I4 with V6 performance using hybrid technology but with the engine upgraded from the atkinson cycle to full BLOWN miller cycle.

Subaru's B4 "Boxer engine" ??

And the waiting list will then triple, if not quadruple.

And if Toyota has the good sense I credit them for it will be rear drive rear engined with batteries and electrically driven accessories in the front and an electric drive motor at the front for the AWD version.

Latter part is a dream of mine, but......