Cd Magazine Jammed

Hi, All,

I slipped the CD magazine into the in-glove compartment player of my 2001 RX300 this weekend, and it is now jammed. There weren't any CDs in the magazine, but everytime I hit the eject button, it goes through three or four series of grinding noises, and doesn't spit it back out. Is there anything I can do to get it out?????

Thanks in Advance!

Tony

hello. yes i can help you try to extract it. you would have to remove the cd changer from the dash. the glovebox only held on by phillips screws and some pop out tabs . once glovebox off remove the 4 nuts holding on the changer brackets. unplug the 12 pin changer plug. remove all the screws on the changer case and it will come off in 2 pieces. . on the bottom of the changer about 7 oclock there is a manual eject lever to try to extract it. if that still doesnt work you may have to send it to me to disasemnble the cd changger mechanism to see what is stuck. possible the elevation motor is stuck. usually the jam happens because the magazine needs to be pushed on the center of the magazine. there is no automatic mechanism like a vcr. if presure applied to the corner of the magazine it will jam. if it is extracted by force it will ruin the mechanism so its not woth that. the list price for a new one is $2,441.50 if you can believe that.

Hi, Pioneersuby,

Thanks for the great advice. I took apart the glovebox and found the manual eject, and it popped out like a charm. Problem, though. I put it partially back together, slid the magazine in very gently, pressing only at the middle, and it wouldn't come out again. The mechanism just made the four series of ratcheting noises again. So I popped it out manually again, and this time filled the magazine with 6 CDs, thinking that maybe you just shouldn't put empty mags in there. Now, with CDs inside, it won't hold the magazine at all. I slide it in, and it pops out. Slide it in, it pops out. It simply won't engage while there are CDs inside. When I hit the eject button without the magazine in there, it also makes the ratcheting noises (don't know if that's normal or not).

Another interesting fact, when I popped the glove box off, half a CD rattled out---it wasn't in the CD changer, but just sitting atop the glove box architecture. Don't know where it came from, but it was just half a CD. The other half was no where to be found, and didn't appear to be inside the CD changer itself.

Any thoughts on what else I might try?

Thanks so much,

T

the cd eject mechanism is not working. it is easily broken if the cd magazine is removed by forsce. the half of a cd might means someone tried to remove cd magazine without power when it was engaged breaking a cd in half in the process. i assume you didnt buy the car new so previous owner probably broke the mechaism enough to cause it to malfunction like it has. i can put a new eject mechanism in for 75.00. email me at pioneersuby@woh.rr.com for more repair info.