B.o. Trottle Position Sensor

spiller91ls

last month (june) my check engine light came on when I started my car (91ls400). I stopped the engine, lifted the hood and gave a quick visual, went inside got my repair manuel and proceded to see why the light came on. Code 4-1, open or short detected in throttle position circuit. I started the car and drove around the block to see what it would and the light went out. since then it has done it several time in the last two months. This last monday the light came on when I was driving and the car lost all power, had no throttle response and the transmission shifted very soft. Took it back home, and removed the sensor to see if it was ok internally, everything check out in its circuit. (a new one cost $139 from checker auto). hooked it back up and reset the sensor according to specs from the manuel. The only thing I could figure out is the whether pack connector was breaking contact, I had tightned the pins to fit tighter. the car use to surge at 37-40 MPH, like the transmission was locking and unlocking the converter. now its drives smooth after reseting the sensor. ( by the way the transmission uses the TPS for when and how hard to shift to the next gear). I guess if any of you have this kind of problem, like the trans is surging then you might have this problem in the near future

hey, thanx for sharing:) if you can pls do a lil tutorial and make a thread in the workshop tutorials forum. i remember couple of ppl had the same problem here so it will be useful to have it there.

This is interesting. My car does something like this at that speed too. I had been thinking it had something to do with my EGR system. I'm going to test the Throttle Position Sensor and see what happens. I'll let you know what happens.

My 91 does the same thing too and with the ABS and Trac light on, the only error code I get is that 4-1 code.

Auto Zone has the new TPS for a few dollars less than what you say Checker has it for so it seems like an easy fix/replacement.

Looking forward to the tutorial. Thanks in advance -- it would be nice if that fixes these lights on the IP.