1998 Ls 400 Hesitation

Ramtour

Help, I have a 1998 LS 400 tha hesitates when accelerating from a dead stop, especially when turning to the right. I took it to the Lexus dealership and they replaced one of the calipers along with the front brakes since they were in need of service. No change. I had the head mechanic ride with me and he felt the hesitation also. We both agreed that it felt like a slight slip of the transmission then a sudden engagement. He changed the fluid and it got slightly better for a short period of time. It does it mostly when turning right but has ocassionally done it going straight. Also,ocassionally the engine wont start until several tries. The mechanic told me that my Ford key was possibly causing interference but the last time I moved the key way away, still no start until several tries. That has only happen three time in a year and it eventually starts but is very annoying. Someone please help, I love the car but hate the hesitation.

Thanks !!!!!

Help, I have a 1998 LS 400 tha hesitates when accelerating from a dead stop, especially when turning to the right. I took it to the Lexus dealership and they replaced one of the calipers along with the front brakes since they were in need of service. No change. I had the head mechanic ride with me and he felt the hesitation also. We both agreed that it felt like a slight slip of the transmission then a sudden engagement. He changed the fluid and it got slightly better for a short period of time. It does it mostly when turning right but has ocassionally done it going straight. Also,ocassionally the engine wont start until several tries. The mechanic told me that my Ford key was possibly causing interference but the last time I moved the key way away, still no start until several tries. That has only happen three time in a year and it eventually starts but is very annoying. Someone please help, I love the car but hate the hesitation.

Thanks !!!!!

I bought my '98 LS400 new and it had a slight hesitation when slowly accelerating from a "rolling" stop. It was nowhere near as bad as my '98 GS400. I didn't notice any difference when turning in either direction. I learned to live with it and forgot about it. It could be that the service department loaded a reflash to the transmission when I had it in for routine maintenance. I assume the transmission on a '98 LS400 is computer controlled, so you might want to ask your service department if you have the latest update. But then again, I could be dead wrong. Did your transmission always have the hesitation or did it start recently? How many miles on your car?

Mike

I've driven two other 98's to see what they should feel like, this is not normal. I know what you are talking about. It's the drive by wire feel. This is not that. This is a definite hesitation. If all Lexus cars drove like this they would be out of business.