Need Replacement Master Key...what To Do?

mairj23

Just purchased a 2000 LX470 from a non-Lexus dealership. Problem is that the previous owner had missplaced the master keys so all the vehicle was delivered with was some replacement keys from Toyota. Need to order at least one new master with the remote to unlock doors, etc. I spoke to my local Lexus dealership and they claim that they would need to order TWO master keys, an "ECU," and re-program the vehicle and they charge labor...here's the breakdown:

Master key - $265 each

Labor - $200

Programming - included

ECU - included

I saw that on lexus-parts.com that they have master keys for $185 each...and they claim that they will cut the key according to the VIN.

Need some opinions here. I've seen in the forum that the programming could be done myself but what about reprogramming the "immobilizer?" Any suggestions?

TIA.

TIA,

Just a thought………. I recently had an automatic starter installed on my 1996 LX450. It came with (2) new key fobs. I got mine installed at a discounted price of $99.00, regularly priced $180.00.

So my thought is that you could get a remote start with 2 new key fobs cheaper that a new master key. All my alarms still work and the new key fobs unlock the doors. The only down side is that they do not have the Lexus emblem on them.

dakrri

• 3 weeks later...

i just got refurbushed keys from a non lexus dealer for 100 bucks one valey and one master they say you can get them online without having to replace the computer and he will give me the website on monday you have to prove owner ship it controls my windows and starts my car I'm still in disbielf

You cannot replace the Lexus master key without replacing the ECU if both master keys are lost. This is a safety feature meaning a theif cannot duplicate the radio frequency the key uses to start and open the car without first obtaining one of your keys AND having access to your car's ECU. As long as you have a key that will start and run the car in all honesty I'd just pay for an aftermarket keyless entry system as it will be MUCH cheaper for you.

I ordered another master key and put it in my safe deposit box to ensure this would never happen to me.

• 5 years later...