New 2004 Es330

hello all, i just purchased the 2004 es330 fully loaded.

I am hearing a strange noise before i start the car. ...I insert the key in the ignition..then turn it to the acc position, all is still ok, then when i turn the key further to start the car, but not far enough to start or run the engine..... I hear a humm or a buzz sound followed by a click,click, click, click....this happens every time. now the nav powers up when the key is in the acc positon so thats not it. I took this to the dealer and they tell me that its the auto leveling headlights doing a systems check....and all is normal...and the service man commended me for noticing that noise and i am the first to say something about this. can i get some input from everyone on this issue if they have this problem or not, it is somewhat bothersome to have a new car with a problem, thank you all for your replies in advance.....scott

Sounds like it might be the ABS power-up self test. I don't have an ES, so you will have to look for me. Is the ABS unit in that same area???

The ABS motor will run (hum noise) along with the actuation of the solenoids (clicks).

If it is your headlights, when you hear this noise then you will see the headlights move when you are parked facing a wall.

Tom

To check if the clicking is caused by the headlights adjusting, try keeping the light control in the off position. Do this by turning the control on the stalk fully clockwise, then try turning on the ignition. If this noise continues in that position it's not the headlight adjusting causing this. As said before, it could be the ABS checking out the braking system. The ABS system is located under the hood on the passenger side near the windshield washer bottle.

I just went to my car and listened for the clicking sound. I think it's the fuel pump making that noise and not the headlight levelers. I really don't think there is anything to be concerned about though. ;)

the noise does come from the area of the windsield washer fluid and brake fluid area, ive actually put my ear right up near that area and its definatily something close to there but cant pinpoint exactly the part making this click, click, click, click...so if its the abs doing a systems startup is this normal? and if its the fuel pump is this normal ,.thank you for your replies guys, keep the thoughts coming....

:unsure:

I have listened for your problem in my new ES 330- that I purchased complete with all bells and whistles EXCEPT the load leveler. My lights do NOT make any noise while adjusting at start up. I have listened for the same clicking you have and can't find it.

I hope you are able to isolate the problem soon.