97 Es300 Questions

jcher

Hi, I had a few questions about my 97 es300. I live in Toronto, Canada so if anyone here is in the area then I hope you can answer the questions below.

Does anyone know of any independent mechanics and autbody shops in the toronto area who are good at servicing/repairing 97 es300s?

Is it really worth my time to have my car serviced at a lexus dealership as opposed to an independent mechanic? Does anyone know of any good lexus dealersihps in toronto? I've had some work done at scarborough lexus but was not impressed with their service.

The cigarette lighter is not working anymore. I'm pretty sure that the heating element is the root cause. Any insight on this problem and cost to repair? Lexus dealership mentioned above said I would have to replace the entire lighter and ashtray assembly at a cost of at least $350 - is that true?

Any idea on cost to replace rotors and pads (candian dollars)? Is it worth going to lexus for this service or would an independent mechanic be good enough?

I have a problem with the right rear strut. So I believe that both rear struts will have to be replaced...any idea on total cost including labour? Is it worth going to lexus for this type of work?

I have a scratch running the length of the driver's side door? Know of any good body shop places in toronto ?

Thanks in advance,

J

Your Lexus is really a gussied up Camry, so any Toyota dealership can service the vehicle, and has most common parts in stock (rotors, filters, etc.) Most good independent garages can do the work as well. It all depends on how loyal you want to be, how concerned you want to be that everything stays Toyota/Lexus genuine, and how much money you are willing to part with. We bought the wife's Lexus 150 km away at a Lexus dealership, took it back for the timing belt and related service at 96 000 km, but not since. Local Toyota dealer supplied all the brake parts for the work that I did myself (new rotors all around and new pads plus tax was $560) recently. I could have done it much cheaper with non Toyota/Lexus parts from say Canadian Tire, but this is a long term vehicle, since they run so well for so long, so I sprang for the good stuff. Plug something into the cigarette lighter that works (cell phone charger?) If it works, all you need is the cigarette lighter element. Any Toyota dealer can get you one that will fit and do the job, or a junk yard as well. Save the $350 for part of your next tire purchase, if this solves the problem. Can't answer your strut question since I've not had to replace any yet, but if your car has the electronic variable ones, be prepared for some big bucks I suspect. Or you could just spring for the non electronic ones and save some $. Lots of aftermarket choices available. Again how important is it for the car to be totally genuine, particularly a 7 year old car? If the scratch is just into the clear coat and not down to the base colour or primer or bare metal, you can rub it out yourself If its down to any of the above layers, its best left to the pros. Good luck! Ever try Ken Shaw Lexus for service?

I am in mississauga

if you can afford it get the dealer to do the work

would have to look at the car for the lighter and scratch

rear struts are about 2.5 hrs to change both as the back seat has to come out

about 100-150 for aftermarket ,good shocks , not sure of dealer prices

unlike a gm toyotas don;t have a sloping lifespan, they dont; start to dies after 5 years without major maintance