Steering Column Sqeals

I have read here about replacing the gear mechanism on the automatic steering wheel position mechanism. Mine still works (98 GS300), but it squeals into position once every 8-10 key insertions.

Can I prevent it from retracting each time I turn off the ignition?

Can I lubricate something to extend the life?

Is there a repair in my near future?

Thanks all!

I'm not familiar with the repair or frequency of problems in this area. I can tell you that the tilt-away feature can be turned off, but only by your dealer. It is a customization done with the Lexus hand-held computer.

I'm not sure how far forward the motors are. They are either accessible from under the column cover or the under dash panel. To remove the lower column cover there are 3 screws, 1 directly under the panel and 2 on each side accessible from the space between the column cover and steering wheel. Turn the wheel about 90 degrees or so from center and look for a screw on each side. The lower cover then pulls down from the upper cover. They snap together along each edge.

If you can see what's squeeking, I would recommend a clear spray silicone lubricant (any auto parts store). If that doesn't work, you may try to first position the wheel where you want it and they unplug the motor connectors at the tilt and telescope motors. You may need to remove the panel under the dash to get to them.

Let us know how you make out.

I have read here about replacing the gear mechanism on the automatic steering wheel position mechanism.  Mine still works (98 GS300), but it squeals into position once every 8-10 key insertions.

Can I prevent it from retracting each time I turn off the ignition?

Can I lubricate something to extend the life?

Is there a repair in my near future?

Thanks all!

Mine Squeals, Too! I have a GS300, 1994. It only does it if the cabin temperature gets very high, like it is in the hot Florida sun for a couple hours. If it is in the shade or parked in a garage the noise never happens. I just think some plastic expands and it is no big deal.

You said it happens every 8 key insertions?

Mine only happens when the cabin gets hot. :rolleyes: Good luck!

I have just had this "problem" fixed by my dealer under warranty - apparently the grease used in the motors dries out and usually only causes problems when the cabin gets very hot - I was told you need to remove the steering column covers (3 screws) to get to the motors.

I also had the same problem with my '98 GS300 about two years ago. After a couple of tries at lubrication, the dealer finally removed and replaced the plastic gear drive under warranty.

The noise was terrible and not something that you could easily ignore.

Best of luck.

• 4 years later...
I have just had this "problem" fixed by my dealer under warranty - apparently the grease used in the motors dries out and usually only causes problems when the cabin gets very hot - I was told you need to remove the steering column covers (3 screws) to get to the motors.

I have exactly the same problem with my '99 GS300. Did anybody have any luck with removing the covers and adding lubrication? If so, what exactly did you lubricate?

Appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Robert