When Should I Replace Es300 Timing Belt?

Hi Folks,

I've read every maintenance schedule I can get my hands on for the 1996 es300, and I still don't see when the cam timing belt should be replaced. Here's what I've found:

>>

CAMSHAFT TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT INFORMATION

CAUTION: Failure to replace a faulty camshaft timing belt may result

in serious engine damage.

The condition of camshaft drive belts should always be

checked on vehicles which have more than 50,000 miles. Although some

manufacturers do not recommend belt replacement at a specified

mileage, others require it at 60,000-100,000 miles. A camshaft drive

belt failure may cause extensive damage to internal engine components

on most engines, although some designs do not allow piston-to-valve

contact. These designs are often called "Free Wheeling".

Many manufacturers changed their maintenance and warranty

schedules in the mid-1980’s to reflect timing belt inspection and/or

replacement at 50,000-60,000 miles. Most service interval schedules in

this manual reflect these changes.

Belts or components should be inspected and replaced if any

of the following conditions exist:

* Cracks Or Tears In Belt Surface

* Missing, Damaged, Cracked Or Rounded Teeth

* Oil Contamination

* Damaged Or Faulty Tensioners

* Incorrect Tension Adjustment

Replace camshaft timing belt every 60,000 miles under Severe

Service.

<<

Same for the actual warrantee schedule. Says to replace under severe use at 60,000 miles, but doesn't say anything about normal use.

I called the dealer and they said 90,000 miles. But I still haven't seen that figure written anywhere.

Can anybody either verify the 90k figure, or point me to an actual written factory figure?

Thanks!

Fred

I assume your ES is a 96. If so, then your engine is non-interference meaning that the pistons won't slam into the valves if the timing belt breaks. Damage that might be caused will be from the acutal timing belt whatever parts may be around it but usually nothing happens except the belt breaking and the car is dead in the water.

My 02 is an interference engine meaning there most likely will be valve damage and piston damage and other carnage that I don't want to think about. My supplemental owners manual specfically states to change it at 90,000.

I have heard of people not changing the timing belt until 120,000 on non-interference engines. They just inspect it from time to time and look for the precautions you listed.

I assume the 7year 70,000 mile powertrain warranty was up last year so this won't help. If that warranty were still in effect then I wouldn't do a thing as you would be covered.

I tend to err on the conservative side when dealing with timing belts. I will change mine at 90k in addtion to the water pump and tensioners while they are in there.

Also shop around for pricing when the time comes that you decide to have it done. Toyota dealers are a little less as this is a similar operation on the Camry. You may also find a reputable independent that knows Toyota and Lexus.

steviej

Excellent, thanks for the info.

I think I'm going to put it on a 90,000 mile schedule. Couldn't hurt, and that way I don't have to worry about it.

Yes, it's a '96, and I have a feeling that what they mean is to check it at 60,000 miles, then every 7,500 miles until it looks like it needs replacement. (that seems to be what they say about the "drive belts.") But that's unpractical, considering what needs to be done to inspect it.

I wish they'd come out and say to replace it after X miles! Not sure why they don't, maybe they don't know themselves. Or maybe the legal department wrote that part of the manual. :lol:

Thanks again,

Fred