Belt Replacement On Rx300 - Yr 2000

sgcaver

I purchased a certified RX 300 from a dealership in Cincinati in January with 38,000 miles on it. The car now has 43,000 miles on it, and there is a squeeling noise when the car is turned on. Last week, I brought it to the dealership and they adjusted the drive belts. It still squeeled, so they said I would need to replace them in order to stop the noise as they had adjusted them the maximum amount. The customer service rep at the dealers told me that the belts normally are replaced at 60,000 miles, and that this is not covered under the Certified warranty that I got with the vehicle. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

SGCAVER

I have the same model/yr with 46K miles on it and the exact same thing recently started occuring. An obnoxious squeeling noise (about 50% of the time) upon starting the car. I've yet to take the vehicle in to have this addressed. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I have a 01 RX 300 and I've been experiencing the same kind of problem. I'm almost at 60K, and I get the intermitent squeeling/flapping noise about 90% of the time now. It fades a little after the car warms up or after it has been driven for a while, but at start up the volume is significant. Anyone know what the belt adjustment or replacement costs at the dealerships? Thanx.

I have a 2001 RX300 and I had the belt replaced around 60m. It wasn't making a horrable sqeeling noise. But it did make a sqeek like there was a bearing getting dry. I mentioned it to the dealer and he replaced the belt. It is very quite now, and is back sounding like a Lexus. I think you will notice a big change when the belt is changed. I think the cost was around $100.

BTW it did start to sqeel a few days after the new belt was installed. But after taking it back to the dealer for a re-adjustment, its been fine. So you will have a little strech in the belt a few days after it's installed and will need it re-adjusted. ;)

I have a 2000 RX300 with about 53k miles and started experiencing the same issue about two months ago. Thinking it was the belts, I applied spray-on belt dressing which only made the squeeling worse. I took the car in for the 55k service and they ended up replacing both belts to the tune of $175. This appears to be a common problem.

Cuball, thanks for the heads up about getting them readjusted. I'll be listening...

I just e-mailed an independent (but fully certified) toyota/lexus mechanic in the dallas area and they quoted me $75 plus tax to replace both belts....I usually use a dealer on service other than the fluid replacement (which I do), but I think I am going to give him a shot. Can't beat that price. So, I think I might look around before paying the higher dealer dollars....but I am reserving the right to change my mind until after the service :whistles:

sgriffith...you mentioned that you do your own "fluid replacement". Are you talking about oil changes, as well? I've read that it's pretty tough to change the oil on RXs due to the location of the filter. Having just bought mine and not crawling under it yet, I don't know either way. Do you need a special filter wrench for these? I'd rather do my own oil so that I can personally be responsible for what's going in and how much.

Yeah, I do the oil...and it was tricky the first time. I actually reach down between the fan & the engine and change it that way. Others take off the plastic piece under the front of the car, but this is how I do it. I have an attachment that fits onto a ratchet that will tighten the oil filter...it is a pain to get it down there though. I usually just tighten it by hand as much as possible and then it doesn't require but a turn or two with the ratchet to get it good and snug. I initially only did the oil, but now do the coolant, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. I did have a lexus dealer do a power steering fluid flush..but they were running a $65 special. So, I will be figuring out how to do that myself sometime soon. I initially changed my oil just to save $$, but now actually enjoy doing the maintenance myself....I guess it just gives me more pride in the car knowing that I am taking care of it. I have traditionally traded cars every two years b/c I get tired of them, but now that I do my own stuff it makes them harder to give up. It is at a dealer right now having a strut mount replaced and the rear main seal replaced (all included under an extended warranty thank goodness) and it feels like I have a child away from home!!! I can't wait to get it home tomorrow!!

i had a similar problem the belts started squeeking at 60K miles then accessory belt snaped. i went Auto Zone and Got both belts then went to dealer to have them both replaced and they did it for FrEE for all you guys that payed over 100 you dealers are some !Removed! because i payed a total of 40bux for the belts and no labor! and im not under warrenty!

• 8 months later...

For all of you who have had the belts replaced, which belts are they (A/C? PowerSteering? Other?) and how hard are they to replace yourself? I have a 99 RX 300 that has pretty bad squeak when starting up, but dies off after car warms. I want to do myself because I need the car everyday, but I don't want to get into bigger issue than I can handle myself.

Any other advice on this? What are good brands to look at for belts?

DouglasMiami,

On my 00' RX300 I have 2 belts, one for the alt/AC and the other for the power steering.

If you do a search on this forum you will find a write-up I did on changing the alt/AC belt and discussing the power steering belt.

I had my belts (alt/AC, power steering, timing belt) changed at a near by toyota dealership, along with the water pump & cam/crank seals at 90k. I put up with the noisy belts for longer than I should have. I bought all of the parts I would need off of newlexusparts.com (it was way cheaper than the toyota place....plus I knew they wouldn't have to order any of the parts) and just paid them the labor....about $280 for the labor. Now my Lexus SOUNDS like a Lexus again!! So, all in all, I don't feel like I got ripped off too bad, but know it probably could have been done cheaper....but not at a Lexus dealership :whistles: