Window Tinting

I have a 1994 ES 300. The rear window tinting has become somewhat opaque. I want to replace the tinting but I am afraid that when the window tinting film is removed that the rear window defogger will be damaged. Does anyone have experience with this?

It appears that the side windows have factory tinting (bronze color) that is not an aftermarket film but is actually bonded to the window. Can anyone verify this? Can the tinting be removed? I'm wondering if the rear window has the same factory tinting underneath the aftermarket film but I won't know until I try to remove the three piece after market film. Can anyone verify if the factory tinting is always on both the side and rear windows?

A local window tinting firm states that bronze tinted film is no longer available from 3m (only grey is availble). Does anyone know of a source for bronze tinting?

All of your window's should be the same unless its been replaced with aftermarket. The rear window defrost is not garanteed to work, but I've had it done on a dozen of my vehicles in the past with no problem.

You need to be cautious of what kind of tint to buy on the back window. With European cars and Toyota's, they use an extremely thick defrost line, and the thickness of the tint will cause it not to lay down as well as some. When I bought my ES300, I had to have it re-done several times before they got it down correctly. I'm not sure of what brand the used, but I do know that the metallic film on the back doesn't lay down very well. It's OK to use on the side, but the shop I went to suggest the same kind the used on the BMW's that is a little thinner and easier to apply.

The film they used for my side window's is made by Llumar, and I'm not sure if the back film is from the same line-up or not? But, it matches perfectly with the sides. I did 5% in the back, and 20% on the sides with a windshield strip. You may only like the 20% in the back- as it's kind of hard to get used to if you've never had tint that dark?

When they take yours off, they will use a device to put moisture inbetween the film and the window to loosen it up before taking off. Shouldn't be a problem! I would also suggest taking your sub/light out of the back dash so they can cut a nicer line, as well as keep them from filling it with solution- they will not claim responsibility for that. You also might want to search online for the best films, maybe start with Llumar?? Good luck!

Oh, the bronze is no longer available here either! I liked it too! Charcoal looks good.

No, 20% is how much light is allowed into the car- limo being 5% which is what I have. 20 is what most new vehicle will have on back windows (sport utes) from the factory. That is also what I've put on my truck, and it looks great! Good luck, you'll see the different films when you go to the shop. Just remember to check your local tint laws, you can get a ticket.

Agreed, I have 20% all around on my 01 ES....the pics are in this forum.....it's the best in my opinion as the tint WILL fade slightly as the years go by. I had to get my entire car re-tinted (at Tint King) as the installer did a horrible job the first time & I was furious cause I was worried about the back window getting damaged with the defroster as well. If done professionally with an experenced installer they should know what they are doing. I've been told by several people it's one of the most difficult windows to tint do to the angle of the rear window.....the rest of the car is a snap. Good luck! B)

:cheers: