Stereo - Nakamichi Vs. Pioneer

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference is between the Nakamichi & Pioneer stereo systems? Are parts from the two systems interchangeable? Also is the Nakamichi amp in the trunk mounted under the CD changer like the Pioneer one is?

Per the Lexus brochure: standard stereo system is 170 watts, add the 12 disc-CD player and system is increased to 210 watts. Nakamichi is rated at 280 watts "of natural sound and incorporates thoroughly reduced distortion and extremely wide frequency response from upgraded electronics and speakers" As far as I know, nothing is common between the systems except the CD player.

the funny thing is that the stock 'lexus premium sound' (Pioneer?) stereo in my 97 LS4 sounds much better, richer with wider bass range than the Nakamichi in my 96 SC4. go figure!

Perhaps the LS Pioneer system provides better bass range than the SC Nakamichi for some reason...(sub enclosure???, larger room, etc)

However, the overall performance and sound detail of Nakamichi's is for sure one of the best out there.

I recently repaired my Nakamichi amp at the cost of $250 at a local car audio expert shop and I would never want to put a Sony in its place.

Later, I might upgrade the speakers, but right now I am just happy with the Nakamichi back in its place. Though the bass tends to go uneasy at high volume, 280 (40 watts per channel) seems to be powerful enough for usual listening! It is not to be used as a street boom box anyways.

as far as interchangability the whole systems interchangeable but not individual parts. the only parts that could stay would be door speakers and cd changer if systems switched. sub would have to be switched as sc pioneer 1 ohm and sc nak 5 ohms. many conversions from pioneer cd changer system to the nakamichi systems have been done. only rewiring sub to 5 channel amp under the changer needs to be done. the 12 disc cd changer can stay but most nakamichi conversions switch to 3rd generation 1996 es300 6 disc cd changer made by pioneer. the sc 12 disc by panasonic was first generation and many skipping and cdr jamming faults. pioneer doesnt skip and doesnt jam on cdrs.