New Owner Frustration

eding00

:( Hi,

I just bought a new GX470 at the end of May 2004. When I come to a stop, or just about to start moving or travel at very low speed (less than 1 mile/hour), I feel the car's jerking. The feeling is like that the car tries to move ahead but the brake tries to hold off it. I am sure this is not a brake problem because the problem presents when the car moves uphills at very low speed with no brake on. This problem happens quite frequently, sometimes very obvious, sometimes bearly noticable. It's very annoying, especially when I seat in traffic jam. There are lots of complains regarding the steering vibration at speed 60M/H, but not many people complain about this issue. I took my car back to the dealer twice, but the problem didn't present strongly when Lexus workshop people checked it. They told me that I am buying a truck, this is normal for a truck. Have you guys run into this problem?

The 2nd problem is when the car travel at about 50 M/H, the noise sound always makes me think that one of the window didn't close even if they are all fully closed. I saw some people complain about this problem, did Lexus come out a fix?

It's kind of awful to spend more then 50k and run into this kind of problems...

Thanks for any comments.

Eric

:( Hi,

I just bought a new GX470 at the end of May 2004. When I come to a stop, or just about to start moving or travel at very low speed (less than 1 mile/hour), I feel the car's jerking. The feeling is like that the car tries to move ahead but the brake tries to hold off it. I am sure this is not a brake problem because the problem presents when the car moves uphills at very low speed with no brake on. This problem happens quite frequently, sometimes very obvious, sometimes bearly noticable. It's very annoying, especially when I seat in traffic jam. There are lots of complains regarding the steering vibration at speed 60M/H, but not many people complain about this issue. I took my car back to the dealer twice, but the problem didn't present strongly when Lexus workshop people checked it. They told me that I am buying a truck, this is normal for a truck. Have you guys run into this problem?

The 2nd problem is when the car travel at about 50 M/H, the noise sound always makes me think that one of the window didn't close even if they are all fully closed. I saw some people complain about this problem, did Lexus come out a fix?

It's kind of awful to spend more then 50k and run into this kind of problems...

Thanks for any comments.

Eric

I have felt the same thing from time to time with my 2004 as well. It is infrequent, but when it happens it seems as though the brakes let up for a split second. You feel a slight bump. Very strange. The problem is reproducing it. If there is a fix, I will have my dealer in Northboro, MA just do it. Trying to demonstrate this to the dealer is impossible as in my case it might only happen once every couple of weeks. I am not really sure what causes it.

Something that may be related is that if you are coming to a stop and you don't completely stop and then start right off, it takes the transmission a split second to catch and you get an abrupt start. This is also something that I can not reproduce, as it happens infrequently. Hopefully, nothing gets damaged.

All in all, I am very, very happy with the vehicle. I had a 2000 Audi A6 4.2 before this and it had its own set of quirks. This is what happens when you cram a ton of technology, a couple dozen computers, and all the related software into a transportation vehicle. And, so it goes...

By the way, I put a Thule roof rack (for a canoe) on the vehicle with the fairing kit and it actually got quieter at highway speeds. A nice surprise! However, I was never really annoyed with wind noise as it has always been pleasant on the highway. You might want to check the cross bars on your roof rack and make sure the arrows are facing forward.

I know the exact issue you are talking about. Actually, I brought my car in yesterday for the 5000 mile service and complained about the idle going up and essentially making it feel like the car was pushing from a stop. He said that is normal since when the fan goes on, it will raise the idle. Suprisingly, I kind of believe him since it has only been happening in the warm weather.

Hi Cab2u:

Thanks for the reply. Sounds we are talking about two different problems. When my car totally stops, I don't feel the idle vibration much, only when the car moves at very low speed (less than 1 mile/hour), I can feel the car body jerking. Several people suggest it's a "rear drive shaft" problem, I will ask my dealer to check it again. By the way, my problem happens very frequently, almost on every trip (but not in dealer workshop, strange!!!).

Eric

you guys have the 2 problems:

1. Clunk- When stopping after driving, like at a stop light, you feel a slight bump, like you got rear ended. Fix: Rear Driveshaft

2. Vibration- Can't really explain it much but there is a vibration in the steering wheel around 60-70 mph, 1800-2200 rpm.

I'll try to get the other site that explains all this.