Finally Time For The New Suspension...

I've been researching this one for a while as I am trying to get rid of the infamous "noise" that comes from the rear suspension that many 1st Gen ES300 users suffer from. My mechanic is convinced that a new set of struts will solve the problem. Personally, I think it is something more involved, but he and I have reached an agreement that if the noise does not go away with new struts, then he will find and fix the problem at his expense until it is corrected. (His expense being that I will not have to pay for any aditional labor outside of the strut installation - parts at his cost if needed.) Besides the noise, I have also noticed in the last week that the rear feels rather spongy and bounces more than it used to so I think I would have been in the market for struts either way.

Now, that aside...

Since the car is going on 10 years old and this is the 1st suspension job since it left the factory, should I go ahead and replace the strut mounts while I am doing it? My gut says yes and that it wouldn't hurt since they'll already be in there for the struts and that the old ones are pushing 10 years.

Buy them and check the return policy from the dealer

when you have the work done have them check them as tehy need to be removed anyway as they wil need to be cleaned and checked for cracks ,once that is done it won't squish anymore, also lube the sway end links

I had the infamous "clunking" sound in the driver rear of my car. I replaced both of the struts in the rear and the clunking and squeaking is gone. Sounds so much better now!

The mechanic said that the strut was totally wasted. He said there was a leak in it and the strut had absolutely no resistance in it at all.

Now I just have to fix a little leak in my exhaust, and the car will be super quiet again B)

I have spent a fair amount of money on my car in the last month. About $2200CAN ($1567US). Some of the repairs are as follows:

- New calipers (in rear)

- New rotors (front)

- Service calipers and slides (front)

- New brake pads (front)

- Fix leak in brake line

- Fix leak in exhaust (still one left though)

- New struts in rear

- Distributor cap

- New plugs

- General Tuneup

- PCV Valve

- New Emergency brake shoes and cable

- Recharge A/C

- Oil change

So basically, I have an entirely new brake system (did rear brake pads a few months ago) and new suspension in the rear. Hopefully I should be good for repairs for a while . . . I told the mechanic to look the car over really good for anything that might be wrong.

I still need to replace the Power Steering Box as it has a leak in it. I'll definitely buy a used part for that!

Still, even with all these repairs, I love the Lexus. This is the first time I have had to do major repairs in 2.5 years of ownership, so it hasn't been too bad.

Regards,

Bryan

• 5 weeks later...
The mechanic said that the strut was totally wasted. He said there was a leak in it and the strut had absolutely no resistance in it at all.

So if my Struts are leaking (fluid is oozing down the sides of the wheel well, I know I need to replace it. How long can I go before I have to get them replaced? What are the safety issues? (Or will the car just ride like crap?) <_<

If they're leaking, yes it's time to replace. If you don't the tire will just bounce up and down fairly free when driving. If you needed to preform some evasive manuevering, you could run into problems? For now, it sounds like it may just be a crappy bouncy ride.

Definitely do the mounts while your at it, the old ones can make noise.

I didn't find my car with a shot strut to have poor manouevering capabilites . . . I just hated the noise, and the ride wasn't quite as smooth like a Lexus should be.

I drove with a shot strut for a few months, although it probably puts unnecessary strain on other structural parts of the car. . .

Regards,

Bryan