Steering Leakage

I've been informed that there is the beginnings of fluid leaks in the Rack& Pinion steering unit...I don't know yet where exactly. Would someone please inform me of the implilcations of this leak? If one doesn't repair/replace the unit rapidly is there warnings of damage to other components...or If I keep the power steering resevoir filled at all times would I be considered a bad person?

I just had my power steering pump resealed by my local Toyota dealer. They told me that my p/s rack is also leaking, and may leak worse once the pump is resealed. I'm not too concerned about the rack leaking. I just wanted to get the pump fixed so the fluid won't drip into my alternator. I don't mind adding p/s fluid each month to keep the reservoir full.....just wanted to be sure that my alternator is nice and dry.

By the way, p/s rack cannot be resealed.....the whole thing has to be replaced. Toyota dealer will do this for $850.00.

Depending on your budget, the rack is not urgent.....the pump is.

Thanks...Power steering pump and high pressure hose were replaced several years ago-so the record indicates. I would be curious to know how I will discern failing rack and pinion system..even as I keep the power steering resevoir topped off.....?will steering characteristics degrade?

Hello,

I had that problem when I purchased my sc, its ot a big deal. U can buy those units rebuilt and work just as good....dont bother will the dealer, u will pay 3 times as much for the same thing.

I replaced mine installed and everything for $350...thats cheap....dont bubble gum-it, take that thing off and replace it. :D

yes, replace it not at the dealer will be significantly cheaper. If not, it won't degrade your power steering unit. Just make sure to add fluid everytime you hear that grinding noise when turning the wheel.

P/s fluid by the way is not that expensive B)

Leaks can originate from numerous locations in the steering system. A clogged power steering rack solenoid filter screen and clogged power steering fluid reservoir screen seem to cause high pressure buildups in the system which cause / aggravate leaks. Cleaning out these two screens using brake cleaner is a cheap first step. Study all these posts:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php...rder=descending