Remote For Car

Grandpa

Ok, I have a problem with my remote, the button where you can lock and unlock your car from a distance, the thing doesn't unlock nor lock my car. I have made sure the remote button is ON in the Panel, left of the steering wheel, and I have also tried my other remote... so both remotes aren't working, and they both have batteries... I think there is a problem with the car's and not the two remotes.... can any1 help?

If I remember correctly there is a fuse for remote control in the driver's side kick panel. If not its in the front fuse box. Check this fuse!!!!!

What do u mean by fuse??? when i switch from ON to OFF on the button for remote... the LED left of the ON/OFF REMOTE Button doesn't blink or anything... maybe thats a hint?

the LED light near the remote on/off switch is for the alarm in general. you can still arm the alarm with the key in the drivers door no matter what position the remote on/off switch is in. the remote on/off switch is simply that. the only purpose of this switch is to enable/disable the ability to lock/unlock your doors and the alarm. there might be a fuse that is blown in your drivers side kick panel. do you have an owners manual? it should tell you which fuse is related to the alarm/keyless entry system.

Okay, here we go:

I have the manual with me...

It turned out there really is a fuse for the remote feature. The fuse is in the engine compartment fuse box, not the driver's side kick panel. It's fuse # 20. Engine compartment fuse box is located on the right hand side under the hood , behind the battery, in front of the coolant reservoir. It's a black box held in place by two screws on top.

A fuse by the way is a conductor that allows electricity to flow through two points. This conductor will burn and break if the electricity current is too large. This way, it shuts off the current flow, thus protecting the equipment from burning out.

well said flanker271! i'm way too lazy to type that out.

one thing tho... speaking of lazy, im too lazy to see if the fuse type for the remote under the hood is the same as all the fuses in the kick panel. i know some of the fuses in the engine compartment are like big square things for like A/C and ignition main and stuff like that. i think think there are only like 4 or 5 of the small fuses in there and i hope that the remote fuse is one of them should i ever have any issues with it.

Can you pull out the fuse? There is a fuse pull-out tool inside the black box cover. If it's missing (like mine), you can pull out the fuse with a needle nose plier. There should be a metal strip going horizontally through the fuse....you can see through the transparent glass and see a shiny metal strip in the shape of a "U". If it's burned, the strip will break some where near the bottom of the "U" so it is not continuous. If it's good, it should be continuous from one side to the other.

Many fuses with # 20 on it??? Pull out all the small fuses and check all of them. Don't pull out the large square fuses. They are for headlights and radios. Let me know if you find any bad fuse. I'll tell you exactly what kind to replace. There are fuses with different amp ratings so you can't just arbitrarly find a fuse similiar in appearance and plug it in.

Flanker... do you have aim or msn?? since your still up.. pm your aim or msn so i can do this as your still on please? -.- and whats a need w/e plier?? will the one i have in the back of the trunk (lexus tool kit) do?

You just need to find a way to pull those thin fuses out. I can't remember if your Lexus tool box contains a pliar or not. I got the manuel with me again...

The #20 fuse I'm talking about is the second left most fuse at the center row in the fuse box. Okay, start from here:

Start from the very left of the box. You see four square shaped box lined vertically right?

Then to the right you see two thin, smaller fuse aligned vertically.

Then to the right of that you see four thin, small fuses aligned horizontally, sandwiched by two rows of large square fuse.

the #20 fuse I'm talking about is the first of the four horizontal fuses. Is this clear yet?

Check if the metal plates on the bottom are clean. Double check to make sure that "U" is okay, not broken or anything.

the 20A stands for 20 amp. I'm talking about the #20 fuse. Did it show in the diagram? If this fuse is good, you switched on the remote switch in your LS, and nothing worked, then something is wrong with the receiver inside your LS. A receiver receives the command from your transmitter (remote on your key) and tells the lock to open. You have to see Lexus dealer for the diagnose. Once determine the problem, go to a Toyota dealer to fix it. They are much cheaper.