Intermittent heater

I have a 93 GS 300 with an intermittent heater issue. As shown in the attached video my entire display will quit sometimes and other times the heater fan alone will stop with all the lights still on. Of note is the lighter socket in the rear of my console will quit as we’ll. My ashtray light will stay on during either failure sequence. 

Has anybody had this issue and possibly a source of the problem and fix? It’s winter out and I need my heater 😞 

thanks in advance 

Hi Dave, thanks for your link to others having a similar issue. 

My mechanic thought it might have been a blower motor as well but given the other odd stuff going on with it (clock and lighter sockets going out) he thought it might just be electrical. It was and I’m thankful I spent 40 bucks instead of 1000. Apparently the previous owner installed a high end Clifford alarm system and did a tacky install job. One of the power wires was tied into my fuse panel blower fan fuse with a pig tail that had one of those flat 2 prong connectors that wrap over the fuse. It came loose and pulled the fuse partially out with it. Who would do an instal like that? The very least they could do is splice it into an actual power wire with an inline fuse. That’s what’s going to happen. I mean all somebody had to do to deactivate my alarm was pull the wire from the fuse panel. 

Quite honestly I think the best theft prevention is to just put in a hidden kill rocker switch to the ignition wire in the car. The alarm itself is a good one though. I can leave my windows down in my car and if someone sticks an arm in the car the alarm will go off. The Lexus system will also activate my alarm and disable the fuel/ignition if someone tries to reach in and use the power lock switch to unlock the door.