Tire Dillema Continues...

Thanks lex, I thought they were only available in lower speed ratings. Now I have a whole lot more to think about. I already made an apointment with the firestone guys, but the triple treads look like what I need. I was worried about the ride and noise from them, but I will research that. I guess I can give up a bit of comfort for a better snow/slush/rain tire. Jeez, if I lived in socal or Ariz this would be so much easier. I agree that the mich and Bridgies are almost certainly a better riding tire, but we get some serious weather off the lake here. I guess I will go with the triples, considering everyone raves about them and the only reason I can see that alot of you dont have them is they were not speed rated for your size. again thank you all

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest update on the Bridgestone LSVs.

When I was having the tires replaced, the dealer told me that 3 of the struts were leaking. I took it to the Lexus dealer yesterday (they say only 1 strut is leaking and they'll change that one). The loaner was an '06 ES 330 with Michelin MXV4 tires.

In comparing the tires, the Michelins are much quieter than the original Turanzas, but iit seems to me that the LSVs are a bit quieter than the Michelins. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Of course, the michelins have 6,000 miles and the LSVs have only 100, so I don't know what difference that makes.

Either one is dramatically better than the stock Turanzas, so you couldn't go wrong either way.

but now my bridgestone guy is trying to tell me these new firestone afinnity h30'S? are actually a better tire. The reason I bring this up is these supposedly have a silica based compound similar to the michies, but because they are trying to redeem the Firestone name, they are less expensive than the Bridgestone Turanzas!

It's funny you say that, because that's exactly what the firestone guy was trying to sell me before I told him what I was looking for. It must be what they make the most money on.

I called back to get a price on the LS-H's. On the phone he quoted me over $700. I asked about the buy 3 get 1 free thing, and he said it's not really going on but he'll do it as a "favor". Give me a break.... anyways, now it's 4 LS-H's WITHOUT the stupid road hazard warranty for about $550 (out the door).

I was surprised at the price difference in the LS-H and the LS-T. LS-T's sell for $89/tire, the LS-H sells for $143/tire. DANG! That's a big difference.

So the drama continues....

Here's a review of the Affinity LH30 from an es300 owner on tirerack.com:

Vehicle: 1999 Lexus ES300

Driving Style: Spirited

Miles driven on tires: 4,000

Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City

Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 9.88 out of 10

Review Submitted: 2005-09-27

i have had this tire over a year now and it seems to get better and better now the steering is effortless,the ride is smoother and quieter.i see from some of the other reviews that people still dont know how to read the lettering on the tire to verify that they do the lh30s and not the affinity standard tires.ihave the bridgestone tranza ls-h on my 98 ls400 and i think the firestones give a better ride,not taking anything away from bridgestone because it is a great tire even much better than the michelins mx v4 that i once owned and will never buy again. this tire makes the lexus es300 drives the way i think it was ment to drive,very,very smooth and very,very quiet,get the firestone lh 30s and you wont have to look at another tire.

I found that interesting... but a lot of other reviewers gave them horrible ratings and said that they couldn't be balanced.

i have had this tire over a year now and it seems to get better and better now the steering is effortless,the ride is smoother and quieter.i see from some of the other reviews that people still dont know how to read the lettering on the tire to verify that they do the lh30s and not the affinity standard tires.ihave the bridgestone tranza ls-h on my 98 ls400 and i think the firestones give a better ride,not taking anything away from bridgestone because it is a great tire even much better than the michelins mx v4 that i once owned and will never buy again. this tire makes the lexus es300 drives the way i think it was ment to drive,very,very smooth and very,very quiet,get the firestone lh 30s and you wont have to look at another tire.

I found that interesting... but a lot of other reviewers gave them horrible ratings and said that they couldn't be balanced.

I don't know anything about the tire, but I've learned not to put too much faith in one review - either positive or negative - if it goes against a majority opinion. In this case, if lots of people are complaining about the tire and there's one strong review, I have to wonder if it's a Firestone sales person or something.

I don't know anything about the tire, but I've learned not to put too much faith in one review - either positive or negative - if it goes against a majority opinion. In this case, if lots of people are complaining about the tire and there's one strong review, I have to wonder if it's a Firestone sales person or something.

Agreed

Well, put the triple treads on today-- 4 tires plus install $500.74. I had an alignment done last week at my mechanics shop so I didnt need that, but install and balance were included in above price. First thing I thought was WOW harsh ride, but then I checked the pressure-- they had them at 35psi! So I backed it down to 30, manufactureres spec is 26 but I feel a little mushy at that low, plus treadwear will suffer. But at 30 they smoothed right out. they are still a bit harsher than my friends mxv4's, but what grip! It just happend to rain all day today so I went ahead and tested them out. Not a slip. I punched it from a stand-still and it felt like a dry launch! 75mph on the freeway in the rain and it felt like i was running dry on summer tires. in a word ,Outstanding. I would have liked to done more but time would not allow, so I will fill you in. I realize they are brand new, but if they keep up like this for 30,000 miles i will call it a bargain, not to mention if they even come CLOSE to the 80,000 warranty. Again, a bit harsher than Michies-but not but much smoother than the old turanzas I was running. even when they were new, adn noise was a non issue. they may get louder as they age, but at this rate they are fantastic. well done goodyear! if they made them in a v or Z rating I may never think of another tire for this car. will keep you informed as the miles roll by-- who know's, they may turn to crap in a week. but for now i am very happy.

thanks for all your input,

A.

by the way Lex, what are you running right now, do they make the triples in your size in an h or higher yet?

Toyo Proxes TPT in a V speed rating. The Triple Treads I can get in an H speed rating.....only 1 rating down which is no biggie. B)

:cheers:

Stay clear of those Firestones! :blink:

Well, put the triple treads on today-- 4 tires plus install $500.74. I had an alignment done last week at my mechanics shop so I didnt need that, but install and balance were included in above price. First thing I thought was WOW harsh ride, but then I checked the pressure-- they had them at 35psi! So I backed it down to 30, manufactureres spec is 26 but I feel a little mushy at that low, plus treadwear will suffer. But at 30 they smoothed right out. they are still a bit harsher than my friends mxv4's, but what grip! It just happend to rain all day today so I went ahead and tested them out. Not a slip. I punched it from a stand-still and it felt like a dry launch! 75mph on the freeway in the rain and it felt like i was running dry on summer tires.  in a word ,Outstanding. I would have liked to done more but time would not allow, so I will fill you in. I realize they are brand new, but if they keep up like this for 30,000 miles i will call it a bargain, not to mention if they even come CLOSE to the 80,000 warranty. Again, a bit harsher than Michies-but not but much smoother than the old turanzas I was running. even when they were new, adn noise was a non issue. they may get louder as they age, but at this rate they are fantastic. well done goodyear! if they made them in a v or Z rating I may never think of another tire for this car. will keep you informed as the miles roll by-- who know's, they may turn to crap in a week. but for now i am very happy. 

thanks for all your input,

A.

Glad your happy with them thus far Dark! B) They are slightly harsher in ride because of the very agressive tread pattern. They should get a little better once you have couple thousand miles on them. Try putting the pressure around 32 PSI & see what that does. Make sure you rotate them every 6,000 miles as well. B) The TT's will shine when the snow starts to fall however. B) Enjoy!

When I was having the tires replaced, the dealer told me that 3 of the struts were leaking. I took it to the Lexus dealer yesterday (they say only 1 strut is leaking and they'll change that one). The loaner was an '06 ES 330 with Michelin MXV4 tires.

In comparing the tires, the Michelins are much quieter than the original Turanzas, but iit seems to me that the LSVs are a bit quieter than the Michelins. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Of course, the michelins have 6,000 miles and the LSVs have only 100, so I don't know what difference that makes.

Either one is dramatically better than the stock Turanzas, so you couldn't go wrong either way.

The main reasons for your experiences are probably such:

1. The 06 has 17 inch wheels, your 04 has 16s. The 17s have a stiffer and louder ride than 16s.

2. The 330 has MXV4 S8s, the S8s are supposed to be a little bit louder than the MXV4+ (which is what I have) but are supposed to have better traction.

3. Air pressure, I'm sure yours are pressured correctly, a dealer car almost definately is not.

As a side note to everybody. I get to buy tires again, yay! (I'm really a sick man lol)

In the rain this weekend we realized the Prius really needs the original Goodyear Integrity's replaced (my fiance slid into a curb, irregardless of VSC. She's fine, I drove the car and the traction is EXTREMELY poor) so we're switching cars Wed. and I'm going to have the Prius serviced and some new rubber installed.

I was originally going to put the MXV4s on it but one of her primary concerns is traction (versus noise for me) so I'm thinking about those TripleTreads. Plus, while I was comfortable putting $650 worth of tires on the Lexus to get the quietest tire possible, I don't think its neccisary to spend that much on the Prius.

Only downside is some Prius folks have reported degrading fuel economy with them...

you know what im gonna say LOL

Falkens:

185/65R-15 88H B

Reading the Tire Size

$48.00 ea.- Free Shipping!

Specifications:

Treadwear: 420

Traction: A

Temperature: A

Speed Rating: HR

Meets or exceeds original equipment speed rating

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/f...id=009242&ar=65

Sorry steve, i just had to do it. :lol:

Here's the LF inspired "short list" lol.

Description Price/Unit Quantity Total

Falken ZE-512 Ziex (185/65R15) BW/88H $53.00 4 $212.00

Michelin Harmony (185/65R15) BW/86S $91.00 4 $364.00

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (185/65R15) BW/86T $74.00 4 $296.00

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus (185/65R15) BW/88H $100.00 4 $400.00

Michelin HydroEdge (185/65R15) BW/86T $103.00 4 $412.00

These tires don't include ~$14 a peice for mounting.

If I were to buy the MXV4s I'd buy them at Costco, but anything else I'd probably buy here because they have a 30 day ride garuntee on every tire which is worth paying $30 or so more for.

I like the Falkens and the MXV4s because they're silica compound low rolling resistance tires. Since its a Prius she enjoys getting the best mileage she can. My bet is she'll get that with the Falkens or the MXV4s. I'm still leery of the Falkens though and the MXV4s don't have the best traction which is also a great concern of hers. Plus they're $$

The Hydro Edges have great traction but people who have put them on their Priuses have experienced slight MPG drops and some road noise.

The Comfortreads seem like nice tires and they're cheap, but I've also heard of MPG drops.

It looks like the Harmony's might be the ticket. Middle of the road, nothing special, but they seem competent and it is a middle of the road sort of car.

Whats everyone think?

The main reasons for your experiences are probably such:

1. The 06 has 17 inch wheels, your 04 has 16s. The 17s have a stiffer and louder ride than 16s.

2. The 330 has MXV4 S8s, the S8s are supposed to be a little bit louder than the MXV4+ (which is what I have) but are supposed to have better traction.

3. Air pressure, I'm sure yours are pressured correctly, a dealer car almost definately is not.

As a side note to everybody. I get to buy tires again, yay! (I'm really a sick man lol)

In the rain this weekend we realized the Prius really needs the original Goodyear Integrity's replaced (my fiance slid into a curb, irregardless of VSC. She's fine, I drove the car and the traction is EXTREMELY poor) so we're switching cars Wed. and I'm going to have the Prius serviced and some new rubber installed.

I was originally going to put the MXV4s on it but one of her primary concerns is traction (versus noise for me) so I'm thinking about those TripleTreads. Plus, while I was comfortable putting $650 worth of tires on the Lexus to get the quietest tire possible, I don't think its neccisary to spend that much on the Prius.

Only downside is some Prius folks have reported degrading fuel economy with them...

I'd go with the triple treads too sw! & yes you will notice a slight decrease in fuel economy with them........a small price to pay considering all the positives & hey, it's a hybrid to begin with! :whistles: :P B)

Here's the LF inspired "short list" lol.

Description Price/Unit Quantity Total

Falken ZE-512 Ziex (185/65R15) BW/88H  $53.00 4 $212.00

Michelin Harmony (185/65R15) BW/86S  $91.00 4 $364.00

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (185/65R15) BW/86T  $74.00 4 $296.00

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus (185/65R15) BW/88H  $100.00 4 $400.00

Michelin HydroEdge (185/65R15) BW/86T  $103.00 4 $412.00

These tires don't include ~$14 a peice for mounting.

If I were to buy the MXV4s I'd buy them at Costco, but anything else I'd probably buy here because they have a 30 day ride garuntee on every tire which is worth paying $30 or so more for.

I like the Falkens and the MXV4s because they're silica compound low rolling resistance tires. Since its a Prius she enjoys getting the best mileage she can. My bet is she'll get that with the Falkens or the MXV4s. I'm still leery of the Falkens though and the MXV4s don't have the best traction which is also a great concern of hers. Plus they're $$

The Hydro Edges have great traction but people who have put them on their Priuses have experienced slight MPG drops and some road noise.

The Comfortreads seem like nice tires and they're cheap, but I've also heard of MPG drops.

It looks like the Harmony's might be the ticket. Middle of the road, nothing special, but they seem competent and it is a middle of the road sort of car.

Whats everyone think?

Yup, you are correct......the Triple Treads are not available in that size. :(

From my inspired list ;) I'd go with the following in order...

- Falkens Ziex ZE-512

- Michelin Hydroedge

- Goodyear Comfortread

- Michelin Harmony

- Michelin MXV4 Plus

Remember, no such thing as a perfect tire........no matter what you choose you will have to sacriface something to gain something else.

Let me put it this way, if you get the falkens & don't like em, you out of pocket $212.00! :blink::ph34r: So what!? ;)

Do you think (regardless the type of car here) I would put my wife at risk safety wise by putting inferior tires on her car so we have a few extra bucks lying around? :blink: Not a chance! If they were $200.00 more total, I would have paid that......despite the fact her '50 series' are only good for 30,000 miles & your '65' series are good for 60,000 miles! B)

Failing that, the Comfortreads are better overall than the Harmony's......you will be wasting your cash for pretty much the exact same tire. :rolleyes:

Well now I have a nail and slow leak in one of the sorry Bridgestone Potenza RE92's on my ES so I'm back shopping for tires.

I was seriously considering the Continental ContiPremierContacts until I read that Horta over at CL was very dissapointed in their ride on his LS so they're off the list. I was looking at the Dunlop SP Sport A2 until steviej said he found them to have higher noise than his Bridgestones. So, I'm quite overwhelmed by this decision as what I am most concerned about it maximizing the smooth and quiet ride, handling and treadwear are secondary.

So I have it narrowed down to the following tires:

Michelin MXV4+ The old standby. Problem with these is their cost, at $123 a peice for the H rated (Almost $140 for the V's that also come on the ES). I'm sure being Michelins they are a good tire, but are they really worth at least $35 more a peice than the next comparable tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Dunlop SP Sport 5000. I have firsthand experience with these tires and know them to be smooth and quiet but they wore fast and cupped, although they were Z rated... $80 a peice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Toyo Proxes TPT. These are also somewhat expensive tires but I've heard good things and supposedly Toyo has a 45 day return policy which sounds great.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...odel=Proxes+TPT

There are a few others that seem interesting like the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H (also expensive and I've heard some bad things about ride harshness) The Kumho Ectsa HP4 (which are incredibly cheap but I had one tire place say he would sell them too me but not mount them because of the liability) and the Falken Ziex ZE-512 which gets great reviews and is also real cheap...

Any advice is appreciated...

I saw that the avon m550 had great reviews, and was number 1 in test against rivals!!