Cold weather starting

JasonDK

Hi there,

I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada. In winter, we always get 1 or 2 weeks where the temperature is -25 C (-18 F) or colder. I've only had the SC430 since June. As far as I can tell it doesn't have a block heater. I park outside at work and have nowhere to plug it in anyway. I use fully synthetic 5W30 oil. Any suggestions for reducing the likelihood of not being able to start it on the coldest days? Thanks

So your employer does not offer power to other employees who have block heaters? What does everyone else do? Smaller engines require less power to start. 

3 hours ago, RX400h said:

So your employer does not offer power to other employees who have block heaters? What does everyone else do? Smaller engines require less power to start. 

Our office is only allotted one indoor parking stall and we have about 15 staff, so no one has access to power when parking outside.

Does this mean that when ambient temperature is -25, many are calling tow trucks? I am curious as to whether those with 4 cylinder engines are more likely to start their vehicles. Perhaps if you buy the most powerful (Cold Cranking Amps) battery you can find, your vehicle will be more likely to start at such low temperatures.

Thanks Dave! Tow trucks are definitely busier at those temperatures, either towing "frozen" vehicles or giving people boosts. I'm not sure if 4 cylinder engines are more likely to start. I bought a new battery in June so I'm reluctant to get another one so soon, but your the 2nd person to suggest that, so I might have to look into it. Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

In this situation I would use the Compustar alarm I've added to remote start the car throughout my day. 

I'm not in your situation as my car gets put away and on a battery maintainer over the winter.