Door Handle

PLP

Hi Guys, did any of you had to replace the outside door handle on Lexus
ES350...? Is it very complex or hard to reach...? Front door handle on my
car needs to be replaced and am speculating whether I can managed myself or
should hire a mechanic.

plp,

This is a job I'd tackle in a heartbeat, as I have quite a garage full of tools, I've been wrenching on cars for over 50 years, and I've had to do quite a few door handle removal/replacements on all kinds of vehicles. You, on the other hand ....?

There are a lot of little problems you can run into, and frequently you won't know what they are until you get in to the disassembly.

But ..... unless Lexus did things differently than they did on the same generation Toyota Camry, follow this YouTube video to get an idea of what you may be up against. Keep in mind that your key lock is under the rear chrome cap, that simply pries off. Good Luck!

And I am not responsible for the opening scene of the video, though I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there who would admit that they wish they were.

Enjoyed the video... ehm... very instructive....
I’m learning about car mechanics based on problems they develop. My
previous two cars, both Acuras had very few. As for the broken handle, it would
be my first... I’ll probably try fixing it myself.
Appreciate your advice.

Just have to love plastic. I don't seem to remember all these broken handles back in the metal days. I've taken many a door panel off and found that taking them off is never the issue, nope, goes to putting it back together. Luckily, I do take some pictures or even video of stuff I take apart which sometimes helps. I also have my 6+ which I can text my tech guys with when it gets too deep.

Aye?

• 4 years later...
On 6/2/2015 at 8:34 PM, VBdenny said:

Just have to love plastic. I don't seem to remember all these broken handles back in the metal days. I've taken many a door panel off and found that taking them off is never the issue, nope, goes to putting it back together. Luckily, I do take some pictures or even video of stuff I take apart which sometimes helps. I also have my 6+ which I can text my tech guys with when it gets too deep.

Aye?

Same here ! Owned and worked on over 50 cars in my lifetime and the ES350 is the first time I had a Door Handle break. Got new replacement cheap as OEM plastic one off eBay for $88. Common repair ! Waiting for nice sunny day to do it outside so I don't get too !Removed! off.